Ever seen a grown man cry?

adonis

Established Member
I stumbled onto this site. Great site by the way. Lots of great info. Unfortunately I'm no longer an owner of a 03 cobra. I hope to remedy the situation sometime in the next few weeks.
A girl pulled out across 4 lanes and a turn lane to get right in front of me. "She ain't too bright". The insurance covered everything (totaled) and nobody got hurt, thank goodness.
Anybody know of a dealership giving good deals within 100-150 miles of Dallas,TX?

Andy

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
100-150 miles. F that. There is a thread on here recently that had a couple of dealers in Ohio selling for 31.5k for a brand new Coupe. Take a road trip and save 3 grand. Sorry to hear about your car.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Welcome. This is a great site. A lot of knowledgeable people post a lot of answers on '03 questions. The site moves fast with pages of topics each day. The searchable data base is huge. Good luck with your new '03. :burnout:

03DOHC

Established Member
Welcome to the site.:beer:

Holy crap! Sorry to hear about your car. That freaking sucks!

We have quite a few members here from Texas and I'm sure one of them would be able to give you more info.:thumbsup:

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
how did have it ins. My saleen the ins person just asked me if it was a gt or a cobra they coulnt tell from the ser# what do u pay ours is700 for 6 mo i was wondering about the cobra ins actually was afraid to ask

adonis

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra10thaniv
how did have it ins. My saleen the ins person just asked me if it was a gt or a cobra they coulnt tell from the ser# what do u pay ours is700 for 6 mo i was wondering about the cobra ins actually was afraid to ask

I pay about $1200 for 6 months of full coverage on a 2000 GT and 2003 Cobra. I'm sure they'll try to raise my rates because of this claim. Unless they got enough from the girl's insurance company to cover all costs. I think in Texas you only have to have $25k of liability insurance. Which means my insurance may be out of pocket for about $10k. They will naturally try to recoup this from me :(
My insurance looked at a copy of the invoice and check from when I bought the car. They subtracted my deductible, $0.20 per mile on the car, and wrote me a check. I'm pissed about having to pay the deductible out of my pocket. I wonder if I'd have any luck contacting her insurance directly and getting them to cover it?

coleman

Established Member
adonis,
same thing happened to me in DFW area -- Richardson.
but, i just got mine back & it wasn't totalled -- 13K worth of damage.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by adonis
Anybody know of a dealership giving good deals within 100-150 miles of Dallas,TX?

Andy

Doug Stanley Ford. Talk to Tim Stanley, the GM. He also is the owner of a nice modded Zink 03 Cobra. Great guys out there.

jream

mods, DAMN peer pressure!
Established Member
stupid question...
what determines if they total a car or decide to fix it?
is it structrual or engine or is it a % of the car price?

realsmith

Wally World or Bust
Established Member
Sorry about your loss but glad there were no injuries. It seems like these cars are pretty safe in an accident.

What color/body style do you want?

Gumball

Established Member
Jream, total or repair is determined by the cost of the repair. If it's cheaper to fix than total, they will repair.

Adonis, you should be entitled to your deductible back if she was at fault. Your company should start a process called subrogation where they recoup what they paid for your car plus your deductible. This, of course, assumes you went thru your own insurance first. The key in all this is that she is considered 100% at fault. The only other variable is if her company has exhausted her property damage coverage (the coverage used to fix YOUR car). You may be SOL if they've already maxxed out her policy limit.

Regarding surcharges, I don't think you'll get one if she's 100% at fault. Fault will definately play a role in this. Her insurance company may try to lay some of the blame on you (ie, you could have slowed down, swerved to miss her, etc.). Definately ask your agent (if you have one) how your policy might get surcharged.

Please remember that this info is based on what I know here in CT. Things in TX are probably somewhat different.

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
Originally posted by adonis
I pay about $1200 for 6 months of full coverage on a 2000 GT and 2003 Cobra. I'm sure they'll try to raise my rates because of this claim. Unless they got enough from the girl's insurance company to cover all costs. I think in Texas you only have to have $25k of liability insurance. Which means my insurance may be out of pocket for about $10k. They will naturally try to recoup this from me :(
My insurance looked at a copy of the invoice and check from when I bought the car. They subtracted my deductible, $0.20 per mile on the car, and wrote me a check. I'm pissed about having to pay the deductible out of my pocket. I wonder if I'd have any luck contacting her insurance directly and getting them to cover it?

Forget her ins co. take her to court and sue, her insurance will defend her and if she is under insured, you will own her intil she pays you.:gt:

Gumball

Established Member
clldreese, nothing personal, but suing her is probably a complete waste of time. She is probably underinsured because she doesn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of, and she knows it!! Her company will never let it get to court. They will pay policy limit and then wave bye bye to her. You could then sue but for what...to say you won...whooopppeee!! Remember the old expression, you can't get blood from a stone.

Think of it this way, his insurance is going to pay the balance of his loss under collision (After her policy limit is exhausted). Have you ever met an insurance company that didn't want its money back? Knowing that, I can almost guarantee you that they will not take her to court. It's not worth the attorney fees...they'll never collect!!

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Originally posted by Gumball
clldreese, nothing personal, but suing her is probably a complete waste of time. She is probably underinsured because she doesn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of, and she knows it!! Her company will never let it get to court. They will pay policy limit and then wave bye bye to her. You could then sue but for what...to say you won...whooopppeee!! Remember the old expression, you can't get blood from a stone.

Think of it this way, his insurance is going to pay the balance of his loss under collision (After her policy limit is exhausted). Have you ever met an insurance company that didn't want its money back? Knowing that, I can almost guarantee you that they will not take her to court. It's not worth the attorney fees...they'll never collect!!

No, it's not fair...but Gumball is right. This is the exact reason why I have minimums on all my insurances. The insurance doesn't charge me as much since my limits are not that high (state mandated minimums 25/35/30)...they pay out and then whamo I'm done...when they cash that insurance check then I am absolved unless they get a scheister lawyer and make it a civil case (not gonna happen, and they would lose anyway as I have an excellent attorney). Insurance companies hate this and will push the living daylights out of higher coverages so they can make more.

It was hilarious to watch the veins pop out on my agent's forehead when I explained to her that this was what I knew (when she tried to push higher coverage limits).

Gumball

Established Member
Joe, I understand your point. I'm not the type of agent to try and stuff extra coverage down some ones throat. I just want anyone reading this to understand, carrying state minimum when you own nothing is OK. If you have assets (own a home, money in the bank, investments etc.) you are playing a serious game of Russian Roulet by carrying state minimums. You could have F Lee, Johnny C., and Gloria Allred as your attorneys and you'd still be boned.

adonis

Established Member
Originally posted by realsmith
Sorry about your loss but glad there were no injuries. It seems like these cars are pretty safe in an accident.

What color/body style do you want?

I'd like another white one, but I might be persuaded to go with the charcoal. Definitely a coupe.

Users who are viewing this thread