fnbdfn.jpg

fndfndf.jpg

fngfn.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo-2.jpg

portcity_gt

Established Member
High rpms

i doubt that was the cause, these things max out at like 3,200. and the revlimter wouldnt let it go too high.

but you never know with these truckers, the ecm will tell us everything the engine was doing at the time it took a shit.

portcity_gt

Established Member
Not the first ISX rod failure I've seen, but never in the middle of the rod though... Is this a pre-DPF motor??
im pretty sure it was a dpf truck, i think its an 08-09 (not sure though), i'll get some more details monday.

im a painter at the pete dealership, so im not in the loop as much as the service techs.

youlose

Established Member
My shop just did and overhead set on a fedex truck today with an ISX 450. Haven't seen one let go yet though.. We did have a dt466 truck that almost popped because of an exhaust backpressure sensor. Saw 300 degree coolant temps and the driver just kept on goin'.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Ive fixed more than a few broken blocks before, but NO WHERE near that bad!! Thats a serious accomplishment right there!

svtmadman

Established Member
Never seen that before on such a late model plant. I doubt it over-reved....but who knows. Shoulda bought a mack but im partial.

05 GT

Established Member
Should've bought a Cat.

J/K We have our problems too. Thats a piece to be proud of. Any chance of getting that block when your done? I need to make a table.

Josh

EVO32570

Established Member
Would a mechanical over-rev do it from downshifting into the wrong gear?

You cant over rev them things. They have rev limiters on them. Even if you miss a shift your not gonna over rev it. The EGR motors that the EPA has required now run so hot compared to what pre-EGR motors ran. Internal temps are extreme now and the engine builders have not quite figured it out yet. Any of them. These motors break all the time. Ive never seen one that bad though. Probably a bad part combined with heat.

EVO32570

Established Member
Cats are the biggest POS on the road anymore. Every truck in our company has went thru 2 Twin Turbo set ups and all are on the second motors. They wont even order a Cat anymore. Pre EGR cat was the bomb. These ones are just crap now. I dont even think Cat is making a road motor anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread