Evap vapor management valve issue

SLPRCTM

Established Member
My car has been running a little weird lately ( idle issues and a TPS/maf correlation code) and I tracked it down to a couple vacuum leaks. The first leak I found was a failed diafram in the EGR vacuum control solenoid. It sounds like a kid with asma trying to take a breath when I put vacuum to it. The other I believe is in the evap vapor management valve in the fender. I put a vacuum pump/gauge to the line where it connects to the "y" in the vacuum line and it would not hold vacuum at all. I have had a high pitch whistle from that area for a while now under part throttle at low loads. My question is.... Is this valve supposed to hold vacuum or am I trying to pull a vacuum from the fuel tank? I am taking a reading on the little 1/8" vacuum control line.

Thanks for any help.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
So I decided to do some further diagnostics and found both solenoids to be vented. What I don't understand is that it seams like in the "on" position they dirent vacuum to move a diagram or re-direct the vacuum through another port but in the "off" position, they connect the supply vacuum line to atmosphere. Is this correct? Seams not right to give the engine a leak on purpose.
Anyone know how these solenoids are supposed to work?

Users who are viewing this thread