Evans cooling kit

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
What exactly is this "Evans cooling kit" that everyone is talking about. What does it come with? Where can it be obtained?

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
http://www.evanscooling.com/

the evans mod consists of a replacement inlet flange for the coolant. it divorces the oil cooler from the engine cooling subsystem. a second part of the evans mod is a high flow thermostat, which gets moved from the lower radiator hose to the upper. the old tstat bypass gets plugged and a new bypass is run from the new thermostat to the new inlet flange down where the oil filter used to go. this forces a bunch more water through the radiator that would otherwise have gone through the thermostat bypass.

this is a rather involved mod which requires the addition of a remote oil filter, external oil cooler, oil cooler thermostat, bigger radiator, and the rather pricey evans non-aqueous coolant. no water so it wont boil over.

if cutting and grinding make you cringe, this mod is not for you.

this mod dropped my coolant temps by 30+ degrees.

Last edited:

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
:dw: Yeeaaah, I think I'll just stick with the NPG+ coolant. No cutting and grinding or oil coolant/filter modifications please.

With the NPG+, do I really need to get the Evans high-flow thermostat and plug the bypass? link

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
it absorbs more heat than water and doesnt get rid of it as fast. its benefit lies in the fact that it doesnt boil over.
Isn't that kind of a good thing?

I'm also going to have the LFP radiator so I figure it should help?

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
oil cooler
oilcooler.jpg

evans cooling system thermostat
tstat.jpg

remote oil filter and oil thermostat
oiltstat.jpg

frontleft.jpg

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
no, but the front bumper cover practically falls off if you look at it too hard. its just a few plastic clips and two screws holding it on.

yes it was a bunch of work. fabbing up braided lines is like wrestlin' with a porcupine.

im not yet running the npg+ coolant. i need to do my ldc head cooling mod first. i do not run the evans water pump either.

i wouldnt run the npg+ by itself anyway. too much money for too little benefit.

the real benefit of these mods comes from separating the oil cooler from engine cooling subsystem.

AaronC

I cannot find the links right now, but I read that NPG+ does not absorb heat as well as normal coolant, because there is NO fluid that absorbs heat as well as water. (100% water is the best coolant you can use). What it does do is raise the boiling point of the coolant. Engine ICE uses the same chemical as NPG+, but uses a de-ionized water mixture to help cool the engine better. I have not used it as an engine coolant, but I have used in my IC system. Works great.

http://www.engineice.cc/products.html

As I mentioned above, water is the best coolant. I spoke to the owner of Engine Ice, and he told me if I wanted the highest performance I should run water with Water Wetter during the summer.

Also, your engine should NEVER get hot enough to boil its coolant. If it does, you need to reevaluate your tune, or somthing is wrong with your cooling system.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread