ethanol and stored vehicles

stangnut

WETAHDED FRICKIN' NOOB
Established Member
hey!! i put both of my stangs up for the winter and now i hear about possible seperation of the ethanol from the gas.everyone i've spoken to says it basically turns to water after 2 weeks or so. i added stabil to the tanks but i don't think that will solve this issue if it is an issue? any one have anything to say on this matter?:shrug: the issue came up in regards to 2 stroke snowmobiles so it may not be a problem that some dry gas wouldn't solve--in the cars that is--don't use dry gas in your sled!!

Tispho

Established Member
It is recommended that e10 fuel be used within two weeks, but I believe major problems with e10 turning into water only happens where there is a lot of moisture. It's a major problem with boats.

I think you should be good with Stabil. It should prevent it from turning into water.

We use a fuel additive called Startron for our boat, its pretty good. You can use it in your car as well.

Last edited:

Sea Pony

Workin'! Woot!
Established Member
My dad belongs to a Porsche club and this has been making the rounds with them. The seperation problem is causing a build up of Ethonol in gas tanks over time. The E10 seperates and floats on top of gas. So if you are topping off the tank a lot concentrations of ethonol in the tank go up.

The technicians told Dad that they have seen concentrations as high as 60% ethonol in customer cars.

If you don't top off a lot and you are using a fuel stabilizer, worry less.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Watch out with Stabil, I've heard it really gums up the fuel lines. With the ethanol, I guess you'll have to use it though. Bitch out the tank when it gets out of storage, then dump in some fuel system cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread