ET Streets, anyone dumping the clutch on launch?

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
On my old 89LX I used to be able to tach it up to 5-6000rpm and dump the clutch off the line on my ET Drags.. good for 1.57 - 1.67 60' times. The 03 will be wearing 26x11.5x16 ET Streets on 16" wheels.

For those that have run ET Streets, are you still letting the clutch out or do you truly side step it for max hit? I know, clutch is very much at risk as is the IRS if it hops, gotta pay to play.

If you are dumping the clutch, what RPM are you doing it at and what 60' did it net? Did you try letting it out vs. dumping?

Jerry

amwalker

the wrench
Established Member
i dump the clutch at 3500-4000 rp, after heating them for a ten count. no wheel spin at all...i need to lauch higher cause it just bogs, or maybe less of a burnout cause i don't like easing out of the hole. btw, averaging 1.9-2.1 60 foot times at LACR...aka i suck, still learning

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
I let out the clutch quick and even, not a dump, when using my ET Streets. Tire pressure is 12 PSI. I've found 3100 RPM is good for me any more and I get too much tire spin. Even at 3100 RPM I still get some tire spin. At least, it’s easier on the IRS structure. However, my tire size is 16 x 10.5 a bit smaller than yours. Since I run at 2700 ft, a 1.76 launch (my best) might be equal to around a 1.67 at sea level.

I find just a light burnout from the water box until the tires grab with no locking of the brakes works good for me. The FAQ’s on Mickey Thompson’s site says: “Super Stock or Comp cars- light burnout, haze tires and stage immediately. Generally, tires work better with a light burnout, rather than a hard burnout. This also increases tire life.”
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/faq_drag.html#faq17

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
I found 2500-3000 RPMs are best for launching our cars depending on track prep. At 3500 I can't keep mine from spinning, even after a good heat up. At 3000, I still have to feather the clutch for a split secong until rolling, then dump. It still boggs, but I can't get better traction without slicks. I get solid 1.9 short times this way with no hop and little spin.

Users who are viewing this thread