ESP cobra 5.8 build questions

Mobil088

I'm trying to build a 351w to cobra r spec for my 94 mustang. I have most of the parts ready for the swap. There is a TSB saying i can use gt40 aluminum heads but Forr now I'm going with iron gt40 heads. I'm questions are does it matter what 351 block I use? I think the cobra block was a marine block. There is plenty of blocks around here from the 70s and 80s out of trucks and vans. My other question is the cam. My local ford dealership said ford stock making the cobra r flat tap cam and all there flat tap cams. Is there a replacement cam ford made for the cobra r like they did with the TSB for the gt40 heads?

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
The correct block will be a later block that is equipped for a roller cam. They were a marine block but the reasoning behind it is speculation. The cam used to be availalbe from Ford Motorsport. For simplicity I would upgrade to a hydraulic roller (since you have a roller block--see above comment) and go with something from Ford Racing. Remember to get the correct drive gear on the distributor.

Tom

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Mobil, I ran my 95R in ESP for several years so I know the parameters you are working with. You can just use a block out of a 94-97 truck/van. To be technically legal for ESP you'll need to run the stock flat tappet cam. That being said I know there are cars being run in ESP with illegal cams. It would be difficult for a non-stock cam to be detected without making you pull the valve cover. I would contact Ed Curtis at Flow Tech Induction and have him grind you a custom roller cam for your particular application. If you decide not to run my stock cam I would HIGHLY suggest you stay away from an off the shelf cam grind.

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
The correct block will be a later block that is equipped for a roller cam. They were a marine block but the reasoning behind it is speculation. The cam used to be availalbe from Ford Motorsport. For simplicity I would upgrade to a hydraulic roller (since you have a roller block--see above comment) and go with something from Ford Racing. Remember to get the correct drive gear on the distributor.

Tom

Mobil088,

I think I have a NIB(Ford Racing) '95R cam. I think it even says Cobra "R" on the sticker on the cam box. If you run a flat tappet cam, be sure to use Valvoline oil with zinc, or buy the zinc additive.

P.M. me if interested.

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
I guess I need to know so what are you guys shifting your STOCK 95R Motors at. First time I ran mine at Sebring a few weeks ago I was shifting at 5500 ( 373 Gear ) I have driven a lot of different high HP stuff but I have to say that little Motor pulled and felt pretty good to be a stock 351.

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
I guess I need to know so what are you guys shifting your STOCK 95R Motors at. First time I ran mine at Sebring a few weeks ago I was shifting at 5500 ( 373 Gear ) I have driven a lot of different high HP stuff but I have to say that little Motor pulled and felt pretty good to be a stock 351.

My Zabinski IMSA R's tach was marked with red pin striping tape at 5400. I also have some data logging paperwork from my Snipes R that makes reference to 5400rpms.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I shift right about 5500. After that you are losing time based on the motors torque curve. These things just pull and pull in the mids. It also lets the motors last a really long time.

Tom

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Was thinking. You may want to consider the gt40x heads as they tend to more closely flow match the gt40 upper lower. Or The gt40 iron heads can be ported to better flow match the intakes.

In stock trim the heads limit, and is probably why the intakes don't reveal their upper rpm airflow limit.

GT40x heads are not legal in ESP. If you are going to run an aluminum head you’ll need to use the Y303 version per SCCA Tech Bulletin. He might be able to get away with a sleeper/cheater cam but I doubt he’ll be able to get away with illegal heads.

For those who are not aware, the term ESP is referring to SCCA’s Solo 2 (autocross) class E-Street Prepared. The rules for this and just about every class in SCCA are very strict. If you are going to run competitively your competitors in this form of racing are very savvy and aware of the rules. I’ve personally seen protests for the silliest and most obscure of possible rule infractions. I’ve heard tales of protests that would compete with the best urban legends on record. These guys take this stuff serious…

Here is a quick video of me running in the ESP class in the SCCA Solo 2 National Tour in DC. I was on five year old Grand Am Cup Hoosier take offs. I placed 4th out of 16 in class.

Solo 2 Nat Tour.wmv - YouTube

Please see below for a snippet from the SCCA Solo 2 rule book on Street Prepared Engine and Drivetrain.

STREET PREPARED CATEGORY

15.10 ENGINE AND DRIVE TRAIN
Except for those with electric and hybrid powertrains, vehicles may only exceed the allowances of 13.10 as specified herein.
-------------------
13.10 ENGINE AND DRIVE TRAIN
A. The engine air filter element may be removed or replaced provided the air flow path remains as originally designed (i.e., no additional openings). No other components of the air induction system may be removed, replaced, or modified.
B. Engines may be rebored to the manufacturer’s first standard overbore, not to exceed 0.020”. Sleeving is allowed to repair to the standard bore. Only OE-type standard or first overbore pistons of the same configuration and of the same or greater weights are permitted.
No interchange between cast and forged pistons is allowed.
C. Rotating and reciprocating parts may not be balanced.
D. Port matching is not allowed.
E. Any part of the exhaust system beyond (downstream from) the header/manifold or catalytic converter, if so equipped, may be substituted or removed provided the system meets the requirements of 3.5 and
3.3.3.B.15. Stainless steel heat exchangers are permitted only if the physical dimensions and configuration remain unchanged.
13. STOCK CATEGORY — 79
Modifications of any type, including additions to or removal of, the catalytic converters, thermal reactors, or any other pollution control devices in the exhaust system are not allowed and the system must be operable. Replacement catalytic converters must be OE if the vehicle has not exceeded the warranty period as mandated by the EPA. Converters must be of the same type and size and used in the same location as the original equipment converter(s). This does not allow for a high performance unit. If the vehicle has exceeded the warranty period, replacement catalytic converters must be OE-type as per Section 13.0.
Exhaust hangers which are bolted or welded on the car are considered part of the body and may not be changed or removed.
F. Any oil filter may be added if not originally equipped. Canister-type oil filters may be replaced with a spin-on type filter using a minimum amount of hardware and connecting lines.
G. The installation of water expansion tanks is allowed. The installation of oil catch tanks is allowed provided the PCV system is not altered.
H. A scattershield may be added. This does not permit bell housing substitutions.
I. Thermostats may be added or substituted. A thermostat is a device which controls the passage of water.
J. Silicone replacement hoses are permitted as alternate components provided they meet the requirements of Section 13.0 with regard to size, shape, location, and performance equivalence. Replacement induction system air intake hoses must also match the standard part in stiffness, contour, and internal wall texture.
K. A device for locking out reverse gear may be used.
L. Limited-slip differential, transmission and differential ratios, clutch mechanisms and carburetion, fuel injection or supercharger induction systems must be standard as herein defined.
M. Any oil or grease, including synthetic, is permitted.
N. Valve seats and guides in older engines originally designed for leaded fuel may be only substituted with alternate components if the dimensions are the same as those of the standard components.
O. Electronic traction and/or stability control systems may be turned off or disabled, as long as this does not require connection to an external system, removal of any part, or the substitution or modification of any part.
-------------------
15.10 Cont.
A. Engines must retain standard type lubricating system, but may have any oil pan (Accusump-type systems allowed), oil pump and pickup, oil coolers, oil or fuel filters. Fuel filters must be of automotive type and may serve no other purpose; a substituted fuel filter may not be used as a reservoir. Substituted fuel filters may not exceed one quart total capacity. A permitted oil cooler may be positioned in an opening in an allowed spoiler, provided no unauthorized modifications are made in order to perform the installation. Any power steering fluid cooler may be added.
B. Heat shields may be added.
C. Induction allowances are as follows:
1. Carburetors, fuel injection, and intake manifolds are unrestricted, subject to 15.10.D. Alternate throttle linkage and connections to facilitate installation of allowed induction systems are permitted, but may serve no other purpose. If an induction system item is allowed to be removed and its original mounting bracket can be removed by simply unbolting it, the bracket may be removed as well.
2. Except for standard parts as defined in these rules, the external use while on course of liquids, ice, dry ice, refrigeration systems, vaporized compressed gases, etc. to reduce the temperature of the intake air charge is prohibited. Wrapping of intakes with liquidsoaked fabric is not permitted.
3. As utilized only on engines originally equipped with forced induction, induction charge heat exchangers (known as “intercoolers” or “charge air coolers (CACs)”) are unrestricted in size and configuration.
Air-to-air CACs and radiators for air-to-liquid CACs must be cooled only by the atmosphere, except for standard parts. Body panels, fascias, or structural members may not be cut or altered to facilitate CAC installation.
4. Turbochargers and/or superchargers (forced induction) may not be added, changed, or modified (this does not allow ceramic coating of turbochargers). On vehicles originally equipped with forced induction:
a) No hardware changes or alterations to turbocharger(s) or supercharger(s), in size or number, are permitted. Turbochargers or superchargers may be updated/backdated only in conjunction with the accompanying complete engine unit.
b) No changes are allowed to waste gate(s) size, number, or location. No changes are allowed to variable-geometry turbine (VGT) hardware.
c) No changes are allowed to supercharger drive system pulleys.
Belt tensioners may be added/changed to reduce belt slip.
d) No changes are permitted to blow-off/pop-off valves.
e) Compressor bypass valves (CBVs) are considered part of the air intake system and may be added, replaced, or updated/ backdated independently of the other components of a forced induction system.
f) Boost regulation systems, either electronic or mechanical, and electronic fuel cuts referencing boost pressure may be altered or modified except as prohibited herein. Boost pressure changes resulting from authorized changes are permitted.
D. Traction and/or stability control systems, as defined in 12.11, must be standard parts at standard settings, or electronically disabled.
E. Air cleaner(s) may be changed or removed, velocity stacks may be added.
F. Emission control devices may be modified or removed. This permits the oil filler cap to be modified or substituted, but does not allow valve covers or cam covers to be altered to install a breather or for any other purpose.
G. Intake water injection systems are allowed.
H. Fuel lines and pumps are unrestricted except as specified herein, as long as they do not pose a safety hazard. Fuel lines may be no larger than 1/2” i.d. and may only connect to the original fuel tank or allowed fuel cell. They may be no longer than necessary for reasonable and safe installation, and may serve no other purpose. A single fuel feed line may be used. A single fuel return line may be used, and a fitting for connecting it may be added at or near the top of the fuel tank. This does not authorize “cool-cans”.
I. Exhaust manifolds and muffler systems are free, except that they must be quiet and terminate behind the driver. Exhaust heat shields may be removed. Rear- and mid-engine cars without exhaust headers/ manifold systems may use any exhaust system that meets the requirements of 3.5. This permits the removal of “heater boxes” in order to install headers on such cars.
J. Engine mounts may be replaced, but must attach in the factory location(s) without additional modification or changes. Engine position may not be changed. Hydraulic shock type rear engine locators, or bobble struts, may be replaced by manufacturer’s performance part or aftermarket replacement part. This part must retain factory dimensions and attachment points, including factory design. (Example: If factory locator/bobble strut is gas or hydraulic piston type, replacement part must be gas or hydraulic piston type.) If one or more non-OE engine mounts are used, 15.10.K does not apply and a torque suppression device may not be used.
K. One bolt-on torque suppression device may be used. A torque suppression device attaches from the engine to the body, frame, or subframe in one location, and controls engine movement at that location along a single axis only. It may serve no other purpose.
Examples of permitted devices:
1) a chain
2) a rod with spherical bearings at each end.
Examples of devices not permitted:
1) any link which confines movement along more than one axis.
2) an engine mounting plate, or one or more plates rigidly bolted between the engine and the frame. Holes may be drilled to mount a torque suppression device. The installation may not include the welding of any plate(s) to the bodywork or to the motor mount(s), nor may it include multiple non-parallel links.
If a torque suppression device is used, 15.10.J does not apply and replacement engine mounts may not be used.
L. Engine cooling radiators may be replaced with alternate parts subjectto the following restrictions:
1. Radiator core dimensions (width, height, thickness) must be no smaller than the standard part.
2. Radiator must mount to OE radiator mounts.
3. Fluid capacity and dry weight of the radiator must be no less than that of the standard part. Installation of an alternate radiator may serve no other purpose (e.g. to allow a cold air intake passage).
M. The engine fan and fan shroud (unless it serves another purpose,
e.g., as an alternator/generator mount) may be removed, modified or replaced. Electrically driven fans are allowed. Flex fans are not allowed.
N. Transmission mounts may be replaced, but must attach in the factory location(s) without additional modification or changes. Transmission position may not be changed. The amount of metal in a replacement mount may not be increased relative to the amount of metal found in a standard mount for the particular application. Solid metal mounts are specifically prohibited.
O. On two-cycle engines, the ports must be of standard heights, size and configuration; crankcase volume and reed plates must not be altered.
P. Any metal clutch assembly, metal flywheel, or metal torque converter that uses the standard attachment to the crankshaft may be used.
Non-metallic friction surfaces (e.g., clutch disks) are permitted. Dowel pins may be added. Any hydraulic clutch line may be used. Replacement or substitution of the clutch slave cylinder is permitted, but this does not allow non-original methods of clutch actuation (e.g. pull type versus push type).
Q. Any mechanical shift linkage may be used.
R. Limited slip differentials are permitted. This permits locked differentials, either by design, welding, or mechanical means. Differential cases, internal differential parts, and axle stubs may be machined as required for clearance and installation to the extent that material may only be removed, not added, and the exterior of the case may not be altered in any way. This machining may serve no other purpose. Any other modifications or substitutions to accommodate the installation of the limited slip differential must meet the requirements of 15.1.B and 15.1.C.
S. Cylinders may be rebored to no more than 0.0472 in. over standard bore and the appropriate standard oversize piston may be substituted.
This overbore dimension is an absolute limit; no additional tolerance is permitted to accommodate wear. Cast or forged, non-stock pistons of the same dimensions and configuration as original equipment pistons may be used. Additionally the replacement pistons must be of the same weight or greater as the original equipment pistons.
Replacement pistons must match OE piston configuration exactly including quench area. The allowance for the use of aftermarket forgings vs. OE castings does not permit alternate piston dome designs.
This allowance does not permit alternative ring configurations.
T. Rotating and reciprocating parts may be balanced but not lightened.
U. Intake and exhaust ports and manifold openings may be matched provided no change is made more than one inch from the port/manifold interface. Material may be removed to facilitate port matching, but no material may be added.
V. Any transmission oil cooler may be used.
W. The engine cylinder head(s) may be milled only to that amount specified in the manufacturer’s workshop manual. If no amount is specified then a maximum of 0.010 in. may be milled.
X. Axle/halfshaft and driveshaft retention/location devices may be installed for safety reasons to control the motion of attached shafts upon the failure of a coupling or universal joint. They may serve no other purpose. This allowance does not include “C-clip eliminators.”
Y. Any crankshaft damper or pulley may be used. SFI-rated dampers are recommended. Supercharged cars may not change the effective diameter of any pulley which drives the supercharger.
Z. Any accessory pulleys and belts of the same type (e.g. V-belt, serpentine) as standard may be used. This allowance applies to accessory pulleys only (e.g., alternator, water pump, power steering pump, and crankshaft drive pulleys). Supercharged cars may not alter crankshaft/supercharger drive ratio. Alternate pulley materials may be used. Idler pulleys may be used for belt routing in place of items which the rules specifically allow to be removed, such as smog pumps and air conditioning compressors. They may serve no other purpose.
AA. Camshafts and related parts must remain standard except that alternate cam drive pulleys or gears may be used to adjust cam timing if no variable cam and/or valve timing system exists as standard.
Type of cam drive (chain, belt, gear) must remain as standard. Alternate parts of the same general type (e.g. roller chain in place of “silent” chain) may be substituted. Mating parts (block, heads, covers, retainers, etc.) may not be altered. Vehicles equipped with a variable cam and/or valve timing system as standard may use alternate computer calibration to adjust cam and/or valve timing but may not change or substitute cam drive components (hardware).
BB. Upper engine shields made of plastic material, the purpose of which is to hide mechanical components in the engine compartment, may be removed if they have a solely aesthetic and/or acoustic function.
15.11 OUT-OF-PRODUCTION CARS
Where a car is out of production and the manufacturer is either out of business, stocks no parts or no longer has a required part, a part of any origin but as similar as possible to the original may be substituted. The entrant must be prepared to show documentary evidence that one of the three circumstances above applies and that the substituted part is as similar as possible under the circumstances. Substitute parts which provide improvements in performance (e.g. superior gearing, lighter weight, better camshaft profile, etc.) are not permitted under this allowance.

Users who are viewing this thread