erratic popping noise???

Trblmkr

Established Member
Anybody else getting a random popping noise that comes from the right side of the car when your A/C is running???

I've taken the car to the dealership each time it happens, but they can't reproduce the problem...

Any suggestions ???

Trblmkr

Established Member
Nope it's not the compressor... that's more like a humming noise. This is a popping sound/feel that I can feel all the way into my sterring wheel.

It has happened at 65mph and at a dead stand still...:shrug:

Vinnie T

Established Member
My guess would have been the A/C compressor cycling also. Mine will make an audible click (more like "chink") when it cycles on and off. And if the car isn't moving, it's noticable through the steering wheel. You sure that the humming noise isn't the cooling fan which kicks on with the A/C?

Trblmkr

Established Member
Vinnie...

mmmm Okay, if it IS the A/C compressor, then how come it never has happend before until recenlty, like all of last summer when I used it, or during the winter this past year ?

Also, this is a LOUD "CHINK" that I hear, sometimes I can hear it on the road OVER my mufflers... is your's this loud ???

Could my compressor be going tits up ???

Vinnie T

Established Member
It's definitely not that loud. I will usually only notice mine when the car is not in motion. That's got to be pretty substantial if you are hearing it over the mufflers.
And this only occurs when the A/C is on?
If that's the case, then you would have to assume that it might be compressor related, since I can't think of anything else under those specific conditions that would produce the sound that you are hearing.

It's possible that the compressor might be going south. You've got springs, clutches and dampers in the compressor that absorb a pretty good shock as it cycles on and off. And they aren't as heavy duty as they were many years ago. A local car guru who takes questions in the newspaper had one regarding the longevity of compressors. His answer was that manufacturers were using much lighter duty compressors than in the past for cost and packaging purposes, and that his shop had seen several "bad" ones with cars that were just 5 years old. And if you look at them these days, they are much smaller than the old piston-style compressors of the past.

Last edited:

Trblmkr

Established Member
Thanks for the info Vinnie.... I'll take it back down and have them look at it, drive it for a while until the find it.

Which means RENTAL, Which means 4 BANGER

AAARRRGGGHHHH THE HORROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cryying: :cryying: :cryying:

Users who are viewing this thread