equal length shortie headers/which is the best?

427' Cobra

Honda Sucks
Established Member
i posted this in another theard but i think it will get more looks here
i'm goin to go wih some shorty headers on my 86 mustang and i was wondering if any one can give my advice on which they like the best i was thinking about goin with Bassani becuase i like the sound and how there loud and if anyone could give any info on headers that would be good and i would like some loud ones

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Don't bother with equal length shorties. They just wind up being a bundle of snakes and making a mess. There is little to no difference in power between a pair of 1 5/8" unequal's versus equals.

I would suggest either doing 1 5/8" unequal shorties or go with long tubes, but don't bother with equals.

Any larger header will be louder than the factory units. Long tubes are considerably louder than shorties.

Bassani, JBA, Anderson Motorsports and others offer good short units.
There are plenty of others so you've got plenty of choices.

John and Renae

Established Member
I cannot give you actual results from a dyno, before and after, between long tubes and shorties's, but when I took my long tubes off my coupe and went back with the frpp shorties there was a HUGE seat of the pants difference in low and midrange torque, mostly what you notice in driving around normally...

Basically, the engine went from feeling like it was breathing, to feeling like it was corked up...I don't think peak HP numbers were dramatically effected.

I also concur that you should not bother with the equal length shorties. No one I have ever known has picked up any substantial amount from running those over unequal lenght shorties. Plus they are a pain in the butt with plug access, and burning of plug wires etc...

427' Cobra

Honda Sucks
Established Member
that difference between the equals and unequals is the equals have the same back pressure on all the cyclinders and the unqeuals don't but i don't wanna have problems changing parts out i heard it's hard to do the starter and clutch with the long tubes

Users who are viewing this thread