Epoxy floor coatings

93_chargedcobra

Established Member
Been happy with my u coat it... my buddy used some stuff from Sherwin Williams and it peeled bad the next day, hes very anal so i know his was prepped right, probably even better than mine.

Redfire03

Established Member
Look up Premier Garage Flooring and see if they have a location near you. They do all the work for you, your garage is only unusable for 2 days and by far the most important part is that you have a warranty. The flooring they use is not an epoxy coating so it is much more durable.

I found that doing it yourself is only a fraction cheaper if you actually do it the correct way. And even though its cheaper you have to factor in the incredible amount time you are going to have to put into doing it correctly and the fact that you wont have a warranty.

Premier Garage is the company I have had do mine in my past two houses, the work has always been top notch and I have never had any flaking, cracking or chipping. I have however had a friend who had a floor crack and Premier came and fixed it at no charge.

Here are some pictures of garage flooring:

DSCN0191.jpg

DSCN1145.jpg

DSCN1133.jpg

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Stay away from the Rustoleum do it yourself stuff. Does not do what it advertises to the most part. AND I did prep my floors before using. Just no luck with it.

Slider

aka=Brad
Established Member
Funny, I have had no problems with the Rustoleum stuff. :shrug:

Same here. I installed 3 last year and 2 this year already with no problems. The only time we had a problem was a guy wanted it on his outside, open the to elements garage floor that only had a metal roof over it. And they had a rock driveway. So rocks and the open elements were getting to the floor. There is not much you can do in that situation. But on garage floors that are part of the house I have yet to have problems.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
I had good luck with U coat it 8 years & no pealing only problem I did not address small cracks when applying & now there big cracks.I going to call them on how to properly seal the cracks & apply A second coat!

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Stay away from the Rustoleum do it yourself stuff. Does not do what it advertises to the most part. AND I did prep my floors before using. Just no luck with it.

I cannot say I had the same results as you. I used the Rustoleum stuff and it looks great. I also went with another company with the clear and the UV protectant. Looks amazing and is bulletproof. I can get the seller of the clear and UV if you are interested. It is expensive though ~90 bucks a gallon

Alex

Savn4Mods

You serious Clark?
Established Member
I used the Rustoleum in my shop and it has held up great. The only thing I didn't do that I should have was use their sealer. Because I didn't seal it, I have a few stains from where my 4 wheeler sat and leaked a little gas for a while and I didn't notice. Other than that, it's held up well for the past 3-4 years.

EDIT:

After thinking about this a little more, I think it is important for each user to state whether this was new concrete or old that the product was used on. Mine was about 3 months old (never driven on) and I still cleaned it VERY thoroughly. If the instructions said to clean it 2 times with cleaner, I did it 4 times. I also made sure it was very dry before putting the epoxy down. I think I waited a day or two in the heat of the summer before I started rolling on the epoxy. IMO, it's all in the prep work. Older concrete will take much more time to really get it clean.

Last edited:

xenodragon

Established Member
I was wanting to do this myself as well, but I read so many stories of the epoxy bubbling or peeling or not lasting a long time. If you dont prep the concrete correctly you might as well not even do it. All cracks and holes need to be filled in properly with some sort of expandable filler, otherwise it will just crack again underneath the epoxy. I see you live in Michigan so it gets cold there and the cracks will definetly resurface again.

If I lived in California I might do this myself, but after reading all the problems and the massive different types of products, mixers, ways to mix, prep. Its just too many incertanties for me.

I will most likely call a company to do it and at least have a warranty with it.

Just my 2 cents

cobra03red

Established Member
Another vote here for Ucoat it. I have had it in my shop for 6 years. No problems with it yet, even brake fluid cant get through this stuff. The only places that paint peeled is where i dropped something heavy and chipped off the concrete floor.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
im going to be starting mine this week with the quikcrete stuff. i got some work to do on the floor going to pressure wash it first then acid etch it a few times then start to lay the epoxy.

Steve@BAS

Established Member
Another rustoleum happy user. My concrete was 3 years old when I did the treatment, so well cured, but not very dirty. No oil spots, or anything, all I did for clean up was a good sweeping. This was in 2007, and there are no cracks or peeling at all. I did wait a few days before putting my car into the garage though to make sure it fully cured.

mi_l123

JDM = Just Dust ME
Established Member
just used rustoleum epoxy this weekend. The prep work was definitely tough, spent 3 whole days cleaning the garage before paint.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
i paid to have my garage coated by a company that warranties it for 10 years. wasn't cheap ($3 per sq foot), and i have a 2000+ sq foot garage. it was well worth it--its been over a year, and there's not a scratch on it.

Users who are viewing this thread