Engineers! Input needed!

MustangMike

GR81
Established Member
Hey guys. I'm currently enrolled in school pursing a BSEE.

I'm currently living in Mobile, Alabama... most of our industrial work enviroments are steel mills and chemical plants. Being a car enthusiast, I'm wanting to get on with a company that does automotive R&D...

I know this is a rather broad question, but do you guys know of any large scale aftermarket companies?? I appreciate any input!

Wrong forum... I thought I read Road Side Pub... not Road Kill Cafe... facepalm!

Last edited:

primetime

Established Member
Hey guys. I'm currently enrolled in school pursing a BSEE.

I'm currently living in Mobile, Alabama... most of our industrial work enviroments are steel mills and chemical plants. Being a car enthusiast, I'm wanting to get on with a company that does automotive R&D...

I know this is a rather broad question, but do you guys know of any large scale aftermarket companies?? I appreciate any input!

Wrong forum... I thought I read Road Side Pub... not Road Kill Cafe... facepalm!

APR is in AL... See if you can get in with them...

GodStang

Established Member
EE is really not the best to get into auto. There are companies like Eaton and Tremec that are not really aftermarket but are auto and large companies. I have a friend that was in the Auto Engineering market and he said you get type cast real fast. He was designing transmissions and only transmission and so he got bored of it because he could not get out and went into the Nuke field and makes tons and tons of money and does car things on the side.

MustangMike

GR81
Established Member
EE is really not the best to get into auto. There are companies like Eaton and Tremec that are not really aftermarket but are auto and large companies. I have a friend that was in the Auto Engineering market and he said you get type cast real fast. He was designing transmissions and only transmission and so he got bored of it because he could not get out and went into the Nuke field and makes tons and tons of money and does car things on the side.

Nuke field?

rockthemullet

Established Member
EE is really not the best to get into auto.

x2, unless you want to design or validate instrument panels, CPMs, ECUs, BCMs, and FEM systems for the rest of your life. EE automotive jobs are all about the body component systems, you'll never get to do fun shit like suspension, drivetrain, or brake development.

91GT

Established Member
I wouldn't get hung up on an automotive field. You would be surprised how interesting you find other industries once you get into them.

I am a car guy, but work as a mechanical engineer in hydropower and mining. There is something just plain cool about a 3000 hp pump or a 300 MW (~400,000 HP) hydro turbine.

Last edited:

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
I am a BSEE and chose something not related to the auto industry just for the fact that I want that as a hobby. I currently design power substations... just something about 138000 volts that gets you going. Our firm is only insured to go to the 138kV level... But I would go for nuke or something... I have a friend that works at Rolls Royce down in AL... seems to like it.

Coiled03

Established Member
As mentioned above, EE isn't the best degree if you're trying to get on to an aftermarket automotive company. Not that it can't be done, but it seems to me that most aftermarket companies are designing mechanical equipment that doesn't require much in the way of electronics, or simply metal fabrications.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Ever thought about the Rail Industry??? Locomotive design runs very much hand in hand with an EE degree....Pm if you have some interest.....

oilwell1415

Established Member
If you want to have cars as a hobby you need to think long and hard about if you want it to be your career as well. I used to love working on cars. After making them a career for a few years my interest died. I still love cars, but actually working on them now typically requires considerable outside motivation. I don't just go tinker any more.

If you really want to be an EE in automotive, the OEMs aren't the place to look. You need to find out who they are buying their electronis from and look there. DelPhi, Kelsey-Hayes, Bosch, etc are the places to look.

There is a Hyundai factory in Montgomery. I know you want cars, but that may be as close as you can get.

Last edited:

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
Honestly, you'll probably never get to do exactly what you want and even if you do it's not as exciting as you'd think.

I'm a EE, I dont work in the automotive field. However, I did internship with delphi working on the c6's automatic transmission. There was a problem with the valve body after use. Long story short, sounds cool; boring as hell.

Unless you get to be a test engineer... which you probably have a better chance of being a professional sports star, what you're looking for isn't as exciting as you think.

Last edited:

oilwell1415

Established Member
Hehehe, I'm a test engineer. I get to see a good explosion about once a week.

I see that autospell butchered the hell out of my last post...better go fix that.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Of all the people I know who went into automotive, only one loves his job. I was warned out of it by my mentor when I interned for an auto mfr. He got stuck on steering wheels and airbags for 10 years and got sick of it. For the most part, the auto industry is long hours, hard work, high stress, low job security, and not very good pay.

aaandht

Established Member
Of all the people I know who went into automotive, only one loves his job. I was warned out of it by my mentor when I interned for an auto mfr. He got stuck on steering wheels and airbags for 10 years and got sick of it. For the most part, the auto industry is long hours, hard work, high stress, low job security, and not very good pay.

+1

I keep hearing the same thing. I'm a Jr. for BSME, and am keeping it as a hobby and looking into other fields for work.

If you want to mess around with cars and such, see if your school has a Formula SAE/Baja SAE program. I know with my team we always need help with EEs because everyone seems to think it is just an ME team. And since teams are generally small and a learning experience, you can delve into some of the suspension/engine/etc. design and work.

Users who are viewing this thread