Engine will not start up??? INSIDE PLEASE!

onefastss

Take your pick
Established Member
As the title indicates, my Cobra will not fire up. I drove it about 30 miles today and pulled into a local auto parts store. After 5 minutes I walked outside to leave, started the car up and the car died after it got up to about 800 rpms. I tried to re-start it and it just turned over with no fire. The starter is turning over and the car is getting fuel but no fire. I checked the coil connections on the plugs, fuses, etc but the car will not fire. Any ideas as to what would cause this? I pulled a plug and it was wet so I know it is getting fuel. I also scanned the car and it was throwing the "Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Malfunction". I'm thinking that is something really stupid I am over-looking but no luck thus far. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
You need to replace the FRPS as the system indicated, common issue on these cars. I've heard that if you unplug the electrical connector from it, the car will run and you will be able to limp home. The FRPS is a small black box attached to the driver's side fuel rail toward the front of the engine.

onefastss

Take your pick
Established Member
Alright, thanks for the help. Is it difficult to install/destall? I'll try and disconnect it, if I can find it. Thanks again.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
It's easy... I think it's one bolt that holds it onto the rail and the electrical connector. I'll try to find you a pic.

onefastss

Take your pick
Established Member
Any concerns of hurting the engine with it disconnected? I'd rather leave it sitting up at the parts store until tomorrow than risk engine damage from trying to drive it home.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
The FRPS is item "A"
attachment.php

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Any concerns of hurting the engine with it disconnected?
I can't answer that for sure but my bet is the comp will run the engine very rich in the absence of the sensor reading, so it should be ok. I would just drive very slowly.

onefastss

Take your pick
Established Member
Alright, I appreciate the help and the picture. I guess I'll have to decide whether or not to drive it home but I just dont want to hurt anything on it. Not sure how it will react with the all of the upgrades on the car. Thanks for the help though.

onefastss

Take your pick
Established Member
2 Focus pumps, -8an line from tank to rails. Not sure if the rails are upgraded or not.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Did you hit the rev limiter before it happened?
I'd throw in the Kenne Bell disc just to be safe, it's only $25 washer :bash:

onefastss

Take your pick
Established Member
No, I havnt hit the rev limiter since I've had the car(1 year). I'm relatively easy on the car and have only gone over 6K rpms a handful of times(rev lim at 6500). What exactly does the KB disc do? Where can it be bought(KB, i'd imagine?)? Thanks again guys for all of the help, as my knowledge on fords is less than stellar.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
The disc just keeps the FRPS from blowing under high pressure. It's a little washer with a small hole in it that keeps the pressure build up out of the sensor.

Users who are viewing this thread