Zachary

Established Member
To preface this, I bout a ‘98 cobra with a blown engine. I rebuilt and stroked the engine with an Eagle Rotating Assembly, Arias Pistons, Teksid block bored .20 over and honed. I got the heads redone, rebuilt the oil cooler, gelato gaskets for the whole engine, new freeze plugs, water pump, High Volume oil pump, and all ARP hardware (studs).

I got the engine hooked up and put in and the engine wouldn’t fire up. It would turn over, but that’s about it. The compression on the right side was good, but the compression test showed less than ideal pressure on the left side. To make matters worse, there seemed to be spraying water coming up into the heads (probably a good thing it decided to not actually start up). Wire tracing saw power to the injectors but they were not pulsing. Grounds were all checked as well.

From there, I looked into the CCRM, and PCM. That’s when I found out there was a BAMA custom tune installed as well as a chip. I don’t know if any of that effected the issue of no-start, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

So, to conclude this with my ultimate question, why is there water (coolant) spraying through my heads, and what could cause my no start issue? Could the water issue be the oil cooler I rebuilt, or could it be the new FelPro head gaskets? Could the rings be incorrectly gapped for .20 over and that’s why it has low compression on the left side? I’m unfortunately pulling the engine out this weekend again, so if there is any insight that would be greatly appreciated before I drop more money into this build. Thanks in advance, and I can answer any questions correlating to codes, other aspects of the car, etc. Thanks in advance should anyone be able to help!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
whats the compression for each cylinder on each bank? If the variance from cylinder to cylinder on the left bank is similar to the variance of the cylinders on the right bank I would guess cam timing is off

01yellercobra

Established Member
If it is water I'd say it's a sealing problem. Maybe the head gasket was put on backwards? If the head gasket was installed incorrectly that could affect your compression numbers.

As for the injectors, where they grounded and activated? Or was there just no pulsing? You did hook up the cam and crank sensors right?

Zachary

Established Member
If it is water I'd say it's a sealing problem. Maybe the head gasket was put on backwards? If the head gasket was installed incorrectly that could affect your compression numbers.

As for the injectors, where they grounded and activated? Or was there just no pulsing? You did hook up the cam and crank sensors right?
Correct, the cam and crank sensors are hooked up. The injectors are just not pulsing.

Zachary

Established Member
whats the compression for each cylinder on each bank? If the variance from cylinder to cylinder on the left bank is similar to the variance of the cylinders on the right bank I would guess cam timing is off
I believe the compression was ~125 on the Right side (this was with the wrong size adapter), and the left was ~75. This was consistent across all banks on both sides. I had the timing rechecked, and it appeared to be all in time, but will check it again on the engine stand again over the weekend.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I believe the compression was ~125 on the Right side (this was with the wrong size adapter), and the left was ~75. This was consistent across all banks on both sides. I had the timing rechecked, and it appeared to be all in time, but will check it again on the engine stand again over the weekend.

i might blow the terms here but I think it’s the base circle of the cam can be off so if not checked you’d think you started at straight up but in reality it’s not

Zachary

Established Member
i might blow the terms here but I think it’s the base circle of the cam can be off so if not checked you’d think you started at straight up but in reality it’s not
Would you think that it is possible the the intake and exhaust cams were put in backwards when the heads were rebuilt? The intake seemed to be blowing and not sucking when it was in. These will be things that I will be looking at this weekend. Thanks.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Would you think that it is possible the the intake and exhaust cams were put in backwards when the heads were rebuilt? The intake seemed to be blowing and not sucking when it was in. These will be things that I will be looking at this weekend. Thanks.

I dont know enough to say

shurur

Established Member
I have to pressurize my coolant system to find a leak that is probably in my recently installed HCM...so maybe pressurize the system and hunt for the leak that way?

I don't know how well that method works for larger leaks, as I surmise you don't want to overpressurize the system..

Users who are viewing this thread