Engine Trouble

Elwood4u

Established Member
hey all, here is some background. 2000 GT, 4.6L. Engine has about 12k miles.

Well, I took the stang out of storage and had some spirited driving on the hour ride home and thought all was good. Until this evening when i left and gave it about half throttle I noticed a very strange lifting like it was struggling to gain rpm and sounded like traction control was kicking in.

And traction control was off so as i slowed to the light and came to the stop there was a very rough idle with what seemed to be a misfire in one of the cylinders. There wasn't a knock like a rod was flying around but when i went to the rear and listened to the exhaust i could hear the problem and there was some slight puffs of white smoke every second or so. It's also worth noting that i popped the hood and didnt hear any metal to metal contact.

More often than not it seems to turn out worse for me so I'm assuming i will need some serious work done. Any advice on what this could be would be greatly appreciated as this is new territory for me. The best case scenario would be a spark plug melted but I dont think so...

Thanks in advance.

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
check the codes, find out which cylinder is misfiring, and check the readings on the coil for that cylinder...more than likely you got a bad coil...

get a digital volt meter and check the resistance on the coil. Touch both terminals to the prongs at the plug end (primary resistance), it should read around .55 ohms.....then check the secondary resistance, touch one prong with one terminal and touch the "spring" on the plug end, it should read around 5.5k ohms....if one of the 2 checks bad, replace the coil.

Hope this helps....

Users who are viewing this thread