Engine trouble! Any and all help,please!

mikesyellocobra

Established Member
P Guys, I'm need of some serious help. I put a JLT CAI on my car (98) and attempted to load a custom Bama tune on. Car fired up and drove great to autozone to return a torque wrench I borrowed. I went in, came out, and the car promptly took a huge crap all over my life. CCRM buzzes, theft light flashes a 16 code, car wouldn't start. Attempted to return the car to stock and now the iTsx tuner won't communicate with the app and gives a 0xFF (Failed to read part number from accessory) and the car won't crank. Getting fuel pressure and spark, so not sure what that means. Popped out spark plugs and there is some fluid in the #2 cylinder. I'll find out exactly what tomorrow. Engine will lock up when attempting to crank, and if i put a wrench to the crank pulley, not spin to the right, but I can unlock and spin freely to the left and then right. I realized the tuner had old 04 V6 tunes along with mine, and my guess is I picked the wrong one like an idiot. Couple of questions I have-can ford reflash my ECM to stock, and if so, how much will it cost? Will that reset the PATS system? If I were to need a new engine, could I direct drop a 96 MK VIII engine in and just swap intake manifolds? This is very time essential bring it's my only way to AZ from PA and I need to leave in 10 days. Any and all help is appreciated!

BeanCrusher

Sidetracked yet again.
Established Member
You shut the car off and it crapped when you tried to start it?
It's not something simple like a blown fuse in the fuse box in the engine bay?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Sounds like hydrolock. Hopefully just a head gasket. Since he is talking another motor, OP suspects worse.

mikesyellocobra

Established Member
Done that, if it's locked from the engine it can't rotate if we're pulling to the right but left will free it and let it rotate both ways

ZeroDCX

Established Member
So you've removed the spark plugs, attempted rotating the engine and it still cannot make a complete revolution? PTV clearance. Are you sure your clutch is completely disengaging?

Any specific irregular sounds when you attempted to crank it over after arriving at Autozone? Did you previously perform any service to the car? (ie. changing spark plugs and accidentally dropping something down the spark plug wells without the spark plug present, resulting in the piston not being able to travel completely up and down the cylinder)

mikesyellocobra

Established Member
Removed the spark plugs and can hand crank either way as long as we want. The clutch is disengaged. I can't honestly remember the sounds it made, but a few times it turned over and sputtered, I attempted to rev it and keep it alive but it would die. No previous service done, just drove cross country Monday-Thursday and it ran beautifully. Parked Friday morning to do a CAI and tune and now this.

Users who are viewing this thread