engine transformation pics from start to now

venomous99

Established Member
rather than the popular external transformation pics i figure id change things up by posting engine pics from start to finish. would be interesting to see how ppl's motors have progressed or changed since most the time we concentrate on what other ppl see first like exterior.

the day i got it..your 03/04 terminator motor but w/ dual coil packs, return style fuel system. previous owner's priority was to get the car running and tidy up later once the car was running.
P1010015.jpg

P1010013.jpg

a few month after owning the car i cleaned up some of the wiring and vacuum lines
97roush

DSCN1745.JPG

valve train tick and slight bottom end knock turned out to be a bunk driver side head and burned #2 piston, which resulted in a rebuild with new diamond pistons, bored 30 over and a bunch of other goodies.
DSCN2006.jpg

DSCN2007.jpg

DSCN1888.JPG

some $80 black crinkle powder coat and $300 polish
DSCN1876.JPG

DSCN1894.JPG

DSCN1898.JPG

motor back into the car. diamond 15cc pistons, melling hv pump, arp fasteners and studded head bolts.
DSCN1961.JPG

DSCN1963.JPG

after doing a bit more clean-up, also removing the ugly fuel loop above the blower and moving the EGR sensors to the cowl and firewall.
DSCN2104.jpg

decided the coil packs dont belong on this motor so rewired for COP and also took this opportunity to redo the wiring harness. i removed the blower to help access the wiring and contemplated doing a ported blower.
DSCN2175.JPG

wiring bundled up
DSCN2178.JPG

all back together but needing some detailing. i decided against going with a ported blower as i didnt think it was worth spending the money to port, buying supporting mods and retuning. this is how the car sits now. i envision the next change which will come sometime later after i put in some miles on the motor(currently has 250miles since the rebuid) will be a whipple. no more plug wires and coil packs. contrary to what ppl have said, there is no coil dwell adjustments on these cars when using a piggy back chip so pretty much the cop conversion was only a rewiring job and no extra tuning required.
DSCN2180.JPG

DSCN2182.JPG

Last edited:

HandsomeRob

Established Member
Dude really nice ride
I have a rattle at 2600-3000 rpm
I think I have the same problem u had. Burnt piston!
What did your motor sound like? Mine is very audible when cold but goes away after warming up

venomous99

Established Member
When I bought it.
026.jpg

With the KB and Aluminator
IMG_3928.jpg

Eaton set up
IMG_5656.jpg

New Set Up Coming
what happened to the kenne bell? what intercooler tank is that? i had one of the box type ones but the corner near the intake filter was banging my 95 R hood so i ended up going back to stock.

Last edited:

venomous99

Established Member
Dude really nice ride
I have a rattle at 2600-3000 rpm
I think I have the same problem u had. Burnt piston!
What did your motor sound like? Mine is very audible when cold but goes away after warming up

thanks...did u pin point where the noise was coming from? my valve train noise was above the #6 cylinder and that resulted in the head tick. the #2 burned piston probably produced that mild knock but it could also be related to cold piston slap. more than anything the valve tick was the most audible especially when listeninwith a stethoscope. it would increase in frequency w/ the rpm's and would get muffled by the engine noise.
if its time for a rebuild set aside a good amount of money to get it done right.

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
Looks great guys.. Id do anything for a eaton swap..EDIT My girl would do anything for me to have an eaton swap..lol

HandsomeRob

Established Member
I was told it was a rattling piston
but I'm getting a second opinion
I want to reuse my crank and aluminum block.
What HP is my stock crank good for

94venomV8

Established Member
^^^ I have seen them go up to 1000hp before but that is pushing it. They will definitely take 750hp on a daily basis though.

jkoogler

Established Member
before:t-trim stock lower end

mustang6.jpg

after 03 cobra set up with powdercoated valve covers, overflow tank still work in progress. Wired in the cops while I had it apart.

119_0733.jpg

motor is completely done just need to finish up the tranny.

Last edited:

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Good thread idea and it's nice to see the progress shots. I never think to take pictures until it is to late:rollseyes

jumperjack

Established Member
what happened to the kenne bell? what intercooler tank is that? i had one of the box type ones but the corner near the intake filter was banging my 95 R hood so i ended up going back to stock.
If I remember right it is a LFP tank but I cut it to clear my hood and a buddy welded it back together. I have decided to change my whole set up so the KB has a new home as does the Eaton. The new set up will be much faster. I haven't posted it but if you are interested in the modified IC tank shoot me a pm.

Troyz R Us

Outlaw Division
Established Member
Not a Cobra, but an SN95...

Before:
p1engine.jpg

After:
troyzswap1.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfj7G02YhxM"]YouTube- Troyz 04 Cobra Swap[/ame]

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
6329_142565069947_656049947_3395496_6405808_n.jpg

I did the JLT CAI..but stock otherwise.

6329_142569989947_656049947_3395652_6855819_n.jpg

During ^^

I'll take a picture when I get the chance after I swap to manual steering next week, since I finally have COPs now.

Users who are viewing this thread