Engine Ticking

Dshavers

Established Member
I just starting hearing what I hope is not engine ticking. I just changed my oil, and put a little over 6.5 quarts and I've heard that overfilling your engine can cause the lifters to tick. A few other owners on teamshelby.com have experienced the noise as well. Can't hear it from the top of the engine, but is really noticeable under the car. Any ideas? Can't really hear it while driving but then again, it's hard to hear anything over my OR-X.

th_EngineTickLow.gif

KG/Eleanor

Established Member
Sound

I have the full JBA 3" offroad set up on mine also and that sound you're hearing is HORSEPOWAHHHHH.

Sometimes an exhaust leak could give you a weird bad engine sounding noise, but I can't tell from your video.

Dshavers

Established Member
Yeah I'm not sure what an exhaust leak sounds like, but this is kind of like a injector ticking but louder.

Blaine

Established Member
/shiver.. Engine ticking... noooooooo. I had ticking on my 03 Cobra. Forums said it was my heads ticking due to the early release crappy coolant flow. Well bought new revised heads and a built short block since the motor was coming out any way. Found that the bottom of one of the pistons that connects to the rod was BROKEN IN HALF!!! /cry My engine was a giant ticking TIME bomb. Luckily I didn't ignore the tick or my engine would of just went BOOM!:read: THIS is the worst case senerio!!! BUT ITS POSSIBLE EVEN FOR FORGED PISTONS. .......and my car was stock with only exhaust and intake with custom tune. Sorry to be a bearer of possible tick sources. But alot of the complaints is nothing more than the noisy injectors.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And even with this much damage to the piston.... you only heard a slight tick at start up. tick tick tick tick tick Still pulled and ran great.
SOURCES OF TICK
1) worn valve guides (common in TERMINators) 2) Header leak 3) Noisy injectors 4) Crap I had happen
Your tick sounds just like mine did. But so do the other ticks. My Gt500 don't have that sound.

Last edited:

69b302

Established Member
What type of oil filter did you use. I have read other threads about not using ford filters sometimes causing a tick. If you just change the oil and the tick appeared, I would focus on the oil change first.

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
A lot of people forget the hydraulic lash adjusters make some light ticking noises also. I didn't hear anything in the video that would cause me any concern.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
My Cobra will "tick" if I don't put at least 6.75 quarts of oil in it. Don't be afraid to put 7 quarts in. The oil pan is more than large enough to hold it and it won't cause any problems.

Dshavers

Established Member
Yeah I'm thinking it has something to do with the oil change..I put the filter recommended by ford on the car..the 820s I believe. Some have said the using the ford racing one makes it go away, but no sure how that would really be the cause. I did find while under the car this morning that one of my exhaust hangers had completely broken off the muffler, which is what was causing that rattling sound at startup. I'm wondering if the weld that broke off would cause a little air to get out of the muffler. BTW, this noise can only be heard after the engine is at normal temp.

hanger1.jpg

hanger2.jpg

hanger3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread