Engine ticking already replaced lash adjusters (96 Cobra)

Mike_96Cobra

Established Member
I recently bought a 96 Cobra with the "lifter noise" I've seen in so many posts. I verified with a stethoscope the noise was coming from under the driver side valve cover, loudest at cylinder #8. Talked him down $2000 because of this and was happy man. Changed the oil and decided to drive it for a while just to see what happened. Seemed better for a while, but came back. I ordered lash adjusters, rocker arms, a springer compressor tool and a gasket for the drivers side and set out to do the swap. Before I did it, my buddy said "are you sure that is the same noise now, it sounds like it is coming from under the car". I didn't think much of it because depending on where you stood before it sometimes so like it came out of the drivers wheel opening.

So I went ahead and swapped the rockers and valve adjusters which ended up being a week job because I accidentally ordered the 2V spring compressor tool and had to send it back and wait for the correct one. I figured this out after removing the valve cover so it sat while I waited. By the way, removing the upper intake rather than the brake booster works...saw it on forum here while trying to get the valve cover off.

So afterwards, sound was gone until engine warmed up and then it came back. This is not my video, but it sounds just like this and doesn't sound like valve train when you put the stethoscope to it...both valve covers quiet. Definitely louder under the car now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrX0crzwUjs

I'm really bummed. Any thoughts?

btw - is it me and all 3 computers I've used on this forum, or will it only let you type one letter per every 2 seconds? Took me 25 minutes to type this post.

Last edited:

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I can't see the video here at work but if you're sure it's not coming from the valve cover have you verified that it's not an exhaust leak? Can you smell exhaust in the engine bay with the car running?

Mike_96Cobra

Established Member
Used a stethoscope on both valve covers, quiet. Maybe exhaust leak? Sometimes quiet, sometimes loud ticking, sometimes nothing. Going to put up on ramps later and crawl under when it's running, looking for suggestions first.

Last edited:

Mike_96Cobra

Established Member
So many things on the web

I've read everything from exhaust leaks to throw out bearings to bent rods to rod bearings to plenum loose to rockers and lash adjusters (already changed) to timing chains and/or tensioners. Not sure what to believe any more. And even the "mysterious head noise...what's that all about? Heard mentions of this a few times in this and other forums.

Mike_96Cobra

Established Member
Anyone have suggestions? Afraid to take it to the Ford Garage because of all the different things I've heard of people trying that didn't work. Going to try a down and dirty disconnect the #8 injector right now...someone said to try it.

Mike_96Cobra

Established Member
I'm going to try that today. Usually happens more frequently when warm, I am going to run a bunch of errands now and hopefully it will be good and loud when I get home. I have to get it to happen when the car is up on ramps/jack stands. It comes and goes, never happens when I'm at home ready to search for it. Been driving around with a stethoscope in my car the last few days...lol. I stopped in a parking lot in the dark last night but couldn't find much on the ground and with limited light.
I know the previous owner had swapped clutches and flywheels a few times, didn't pay a lot of attention to his story as to why (wish I would have now). I've heard mention of pilot bearings and throw out bearings causing ticking sounds. Anything else in there that would cause a ticking sound? I asked him about it after I told him the changing of the lifters and rockers didn't help. He mentioned he had heard of people having issues with the Centerforce clutches and some weights they wire on to reduce the pedal pressure needed??? Sound familiar to anyone and would it cause a ticking sound?

Mike_96Cobra

Established Member
Sound definately from the bottom of the car

Under the car with a stethoscope, sound is loudest and most distinct at the rear of the oil pan and bottom of the bell housing. A friend suggested loose clutch, clutch plate or flywheel. In any case looks like I may need to drop the tranny? I removed the cover over the clutch fork, everything looks fine although there is some wobble in the fork when the engine is idling. Is that normal?

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
Does the noise change at all when you push in the clutch? I had a throw out bearing that squealed some but went away when you pushed in the clutch or even put light pressure. Never had ticking noise from my clutch but mine is stock.

What kind of millage is on this car? Has it ever had a power adder (boost/nitrous). Maybe could be a rod or wrist pin or piston wear. Have you tried a compression test?

Mike_96Cobra

Established Member
The noise does not change with the clutch being depressed or not. It goes away when you load it though. Hear it at idle and when slowing down, but goes away when you push on the gas pedal.

There is a Vortech V-1 supercharger on the engine, been on since 1998. Because of this the air cleaner is down in the fender in front of the front right wheel. There are 116,000 miles on the engine, it was rebuilt at 90K because it sucked in water. He drove in a deep puddle and subbmerged the air cleaner. Most all of the internals were replaced. I'll have to look at the receipt from the rebuild to see exactly what was replaced but I know all of the pistons, bearing, seals, etc...not sure about the rods.

"Maybe could be a rod or wrist pin or piston wear. Have you tried a compression test?" Wouldn't it be more constant if it were one of those things? It comes and goes randomly although getting more frequent and a little louder. I haven't tried a compression test yet.

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
If you're driving and it's making the noise try popping in neutral and see if and how the noise change. Try varying the rpm while doing this too.

Hoping the best for you. Hopefully something small. Not piston slap or bad bearings.

Mike_96Cobra

Established Member
Noise goes with engine rpm up to around 1800rpm, then goes away. Idle tick is slower, speeds up with engine speed. pressing the clutch in while driving does nothing to the sound.

Mike_96Cobra

Established Member
I've read lots of forums/posts last night and tonight about centerforce clutches (which I have) and throwout bearings, pilot bearings/shafts, and other clutch related things causing this same type of noise. I called a Transmission shop today to see what it would cost them to drop my tranny and inspect it...didn't think it would cost too much. He told me ~$800 according to his shop time estimate manual. What's so time consuming about removing the transmission in this car? I only called because I didn't feel like laying on my back doing it under a car on jack stands. Guess I may be doing so afterall if it costs that much. I'm going to take it to the trans shop and have him put it on the lift and diagnos it before I remove it though. Has to wait a couple of weeks now, going on vacation.

Mike_96Cobra

Established Member
Just got back from vaca, taking in to trans shop tomorrow so they can lift it up for a quick look/hear. I noticed tonight that it speeds up with the engine but not at the same rate so I doubt it's engine-internals related. Rev the engine, it ticks faster but not as much faster as the rpms change by. Engine speed triples or quadruples, the ticking only increases by 1.5 or maybe 2 times in frequency. Makes me feel a little better about it. I'd think something internal to the engine would increase the same as the engine speed.

Mike_96Cobra

Established Member
Talked extensively with a Ford mechanic this weekend, he's convinced (without physically seeing or hearing it) that it's a cracked exhaust manifold or broken exhaust stud. Still no diagnosis from Trans shop.

Mike_96Cobra

Established Member
So they finally got to check my car out at the transmission shop today. What they saw was when the noise started the harmonic balancer seemed to shake a lot. They removed the inspection cover on the transmission and the flywheel and clutch plate had the same shake/wobble. They feel it's internal to the engine. I've read a few different things about flywheels and clutches having issues but I need to go back and read up on this stuff again. They said they'd pull the tranny and inspect but remove/replace is $500, guess I'd like to have a better idea of problem before spending $500. the rear main seal also start leaking lately, from the vibration? Should I not drive it? Ideas?

Mike_96Cobra

Established Member
I know he previous owner had swapped flywheels and clutches numerous times including once not long before the noise started.

Mike_96Cobra

Established Member
One more thing. The transmission shop owner and main tech both openly admitted they have mostly worked on/specialized in transmissions, clutches, rear ends, etc for the past 20 years but both said they would probably either take it to another shop (Ford dealer or someone who specializes in these cars) or start by replacing the harmonic balancer. They said they would drop the trans for me and inspect the flywheel, clutch plate, etc but didn't want to recommend that since they weren't sure and it was a $500 job according to their labor rate manual. Awesome place though, they charged me nothing because they felt they really weren't telling me anything I didn't already discuss with them. They squeezed it in an out of the shop 3 times during the week between jobs and put it up on the lift with two guys with stethoscopes and flashlights, and even kept it stored indoors in their warehouse when it wasn't on the lift.

Anyone have a suggestion? Any known experts on this in the Minneapolis area? I'm 75 miles away, gladly drive at this point.

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
Personally I'd be leaning towards not driving it. If the noise wasn't there before the last clutch/flywheel swap then I'd suspect bad parts or something went wrong during installation.

Users who are viewing this thread