Engine tick noise

alexgg2

Established Member
I noticed a ticking sound which almost sounds like an exhaust leak. I jacked up my car to tighten up what I thought was an exhaust leak from the aftermarket ford racing exhaust I had installed almost 2 years ago but to my surprise the exhaust wasn't leaking and the ticking noise was coming from the engine. Sounds as though it's coming from inside the cylinder head. Anyone else experience same issue. I know the 03 cobras had a defective cylinder head and ford made a recall to have one cylinder head replaced with a revised version. I'm assuming the new mustangs must have a defective cylinder head design as well causing the ticking sound. I'm going to be taking my mustang soon to dealership to have it checked out. If anyone else has experienced the same issue and found a fix any info would greatly be appreciated.
Here's a video of my mustang making the ticking noise.

Here's another video of someone else's 2015 mustang making the same ticking noise.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

calebdnehus

Established Member
I had a '13 that made a similar noise that could be heard from the same area, from what I read on it, it was normal for cold engine to make the ticking sound rather loudly (I heard it over the exhaust on a cold start) and once it warms up it kinda dies off in loudness and starts ticking like yours. I havent noticed it on my '17 but i was told it was normal and I may be wrong but it seemed like injector tick to me on the '13. Car never gave me any trouble and dealer claimed it was fine. Ran her for 22,000 miles though before I regrettable sold her

alexgg2

Established Member
The engine continues to make noise even when warmed up. The sound is not coming from top of engine where the fuel injector is located that fuel injector tick your talking about is normal. This noise is different, engine runs good but making weird noise that I know is not normal. I've read other forums of older model with 5.0l having same issues and dealership never finding a solution and some people getting engine replaced but had to fight dealership to swap engine. I haven't made an appointment yet to dealership look at it, I will be doing so Thursday or Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

calebdnehus

Established Member
Man, I wish I had seen this the other day. I had a video of my '13 doing it real loud that I could have posted to see if its the same as what you were getting. But for sure, I'd be going to the dealer just like you. If its something you know isnt the norm, I wouldnt let them send me away without looking into it.

Users who are viewing this thread