Engine tic with Mobil 1?

Fred G

Established Member
Good Morning to the Group,
I was just curious what oil our noisy engines might be running, or better yet, if anyone has the tic using a heavier oil, specifically 5W30 Mobil 1. I’m using (Ford) 5W20 and have the tic. After the first oil change at about 500 miles, I had no tick for the first 60 or 70 miles, then the tic came back. I’ll be switching over to 5W30 Mobile 1 on the next oil change next week, but it seems that, unless it is purely coincidental, of two other local 03’s, one tics (uses 5W20) and one doesn’t (uses Mobil 1 5W30). How ‘bout it?

Rick@Amazon

SVT God
Established Member
Hi Fred how ya doing? I doubt the oil has anything to do with the tic. Tell your friend to have his car checked out. When the cam girdle gets loose it gives excessive play in the cam followers. If it gets taken car of it will be fine, but when this car gets over rev (6700+) with this problem the followers can break. This has happened to a couple cars allready. These cars make peak torque between 6200-6500. There is no reason to rev them any higher. Buy shifting in this range you will have your best ET's.
Also I'm tuning a couple cars with some prototype parts at Mustang Magic around Labor day. If you get a chance why don't you stop up. I'd enjoy talking to you again. If time permitting I my bring my wife's cobra up to do some more tuning on. (she thinks 550rwhp is not enough to get the job done ) hehehe.
Keep in touch and I'll give ya a date.
Rick

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
You also might be hearing the injectors? They can tick on a lot of cars.

As for oil I would use Mobile1 or Amsoil 0W-30. The 0 weight will allow the oil to get to the critical parts FASTER at cold start!!! Very important!

Fred G

Established Member
Thanks Guys,
This is not the injector pulse noise. It is most definitely the cam caps (as Rick mentioned). The thought of bringing the car back to the dealer makes me sick, though.

Rick, I’ll make it a point to get over to Mustang Magic when you’re back up this way. Actually, I’m stopping off to see Joe later this morning. I’ll say hi for you.
Fred

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by Fred G
Thanks Guys,
This is not the injector pulse noise. It is most definitely the cam caps (as Rick mentioned). The thought of bringing the car back to the dealer makes me sick, though.

Rick, I’ll make it a point to get over to Mustang Magic when you’re back up this way. Actually, I’m stopping off to see Joe later this morning. I’ll say hi for you.
Fred

I just went through this retorque turmoil on mine. Dealer had car for 3 days. When I picked it up, the tick was gone. I now have 100 miles since leaving dealer and tick is back!!
:gt:

I have never had mine over 6,000 and the tick was their from the first day. Car had 1.1 miles when it was delivered.

What do I do now???

:cryying:

Users who are viewing this thread