Engine swap help...

CobraKai

Established Member
Hey guys, been a long time since I posted as Sold my 97 Cobra several years ago. Thinking about picking up a 97 convertible with a blown engine and putting a new motor in it. I have never done this before, but I do have some friends with more experience than me to help. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good thread detailing engine removal and installation for these cars. Going to search of course, but if anybody can direct me to a really good one I would be very appreciative! Would like to know what I am getting into before I buy this thing. One with pictures would be great! Any other thoughts or advice are welcome as well. Thanks guys!

Jeff

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I’ve personally never seen a walk-through for it, but there really isn’t any magic to doing it.

Remove the exhaust and driveshaft
Drain the fluids (transmission included unless you’ve got a plug for the tail-shaft)
Unplug the wiring harness (helps for re-installation if you label what went where)
Evac the A/C system
(I also removed the radiator because I was concerned about hitting it when the motor was coming out the top)

From there it is really just nuts and bolts until you’re absolutely sure you’ve got everything disconnected and loose.

Remove the upper and lower intake manifolds and the alternator. You can use a bolt from the bell-housing for one mounting point for the chain on your lift and the bolt hole in the opposite corner where the alternator mounts for the other attachment point for the lift-chain.

It is very straightforward and easy to do, just takes a little time.

my94pony

addicted
Established Member
If I was you I would check out youtube, a lot of things I've installed I've found videos on there of somebody doing it step by step, and its much easier when u see somebody doing it not just a write up or picture

CobraKai

Established Member
All extremely helpful! Thanks guys, it's good to be back on these forums again, I missed it!

Any suggestions on where to get a whole new motor if I decide to go that route?

my94pony

addicted
Established Member
Are u going with a stock motor? If I was u I'd deff do some upgrading before putting it in, forged motor bore over stroker idk just not stock

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
All extremely helpful! Thanks guys, it's good to be back on these forums again, I missed it!

Any suggestions on where to get a whole new motor if I decide to go that route?

Keep an eye on the market section for used engines. There are 2 used 96-98 Cobra engines for sale right now. I would say if you can swing the extra expense go for a used 03-04 Cobra engine and t-56.

Users who are viewing this thread