Engine Sputter Problem??

nsreed

Established Member
My car runs strong as heck in a straight line. I live in the country. There is a street with a great left turn off the road I live on. It is a blast to be in second gear, crank the wheel and stand on it as you are coming into that turn off about 30 to 40 mph. The road is flat and smooth. and it's not a real hard turn off. Every time I try it in my Cobra it handles awesome, the rear end doesn't even think of breaking loose. But on a semi hard turn like that the engine sputters like crazy until it's going in a straight line again. I notice every time it does that, the traction control light on the dash is on. When the light goes out, it runs fine.I haven't tried doing that turn with the traction control off to see if it acts up yet. But even if the traction control IS on, it shouldn't cause the engine to shut down. Hell I can do the same turn in my Grand Cherokee with traction control and the system doesn't even activate. And when it does, you simply hear the brake system pumping, not shutting down the engine.
I KNOW it's not gasoline. I have run four tanks through it and it runs perfect in a straight line.
Any ideas or similar problems?
NSR

Last edited:

i8u

Established Member
Correct me if im wrong but I thought the traction control system worked by way of spark retard and fuel cutoff.

nsreed

Established Member
Traction control

I truly don't know how the traction control works in the Cobra. For everyday cars I drive Mopar and they use the abs brake system. Will have to check into the Ford system. Your thought about fuel cutoff etc feels like that IS what is going on. So that makes sense
Ned

Last edited:

FINICKY

Established Member
its the traction control man shut it off and you will have no more problems.... think about it how could yhe brakes alone hold back a four hundred hourse engine lol.... but really the engine gets timing pulled fuel cut and on these i believe boost dump.. just shut it off and youll be fine

nsreed

Established Member
Traction control

Thanks guys
Did some reading too on the Ford system. Next time I want to romp on that curve, the traction control will be off!
NSR

Steve B

Established Member
Re: Traction control

Originally posted by nsreed
Thanks guys
Did some reading too on the Ford system. Next time I want to romp on that curve, the traction control will be off!
NSR

:D
I would suggest you try it at a little less 'enthusiastic' level then you are currently using. The TC is trying to tell you something at the moment;)

Users who are viewing this thread