Engine shots and first startup of my bro's '67 Stang

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
Seems like there is a lot of classic ford muscle being posted around here, so I thought I'd post up my brothers 1967 Coupe.

It's still very much a work in progress, but the engine is nearly done (for now)

-1990 5.0 longblock bored .030 over
-Weiend intake manifold
-Full MSD ignition
-Holley 650 Carb
-Hooker long tube headers

The start; out with the old: (very tired stock 289)
12-230032.jpg

(this is actually December 2007 so its a longgg time coming, he's in graduate school for engineering, and I'm in architecture= not much free time)

New motor:
DSC_0410.jpg

After some work:
DSC_0187.jpg

Glovebox mounted MSD:
DSC_0335.jpg

Almost ready for install:
DSC_0328.jpg

Finally home:
3-1.jpg

01-1.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2VDLvLXrR8"]YouTube - 1967 Mustang first start with 306 and open headers[/ame]

Sadly the heater core blew out so we're waiting on parts now.

Future plans include either trickflow or cleveland heads, top loader 4 speed (C3 in it now) and finishing the body work. Floor pans are pretty bad so interior is probably next.

:beer:

Last edited:

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
I have a 4 speed now and I want to switch to a T5 really bad

but thats my opinion

If its a toploader, he'll buy it from you most likely.

And he wants the top loader because they are simply unbreakable, plus 4 speeds are just cool. :beer:

As far as I know, its the stock HO cam, but we didn't look. Only reason we know its a 306 is because we had to take one of the heads off.

Last edited:

sixt5

Established Member
toploader in mine, wide ratio too. from what i've read these things are beasts. its nice having the extra strength but i wish i had over drive too.

what roller parts did he use?

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
If its a toploader, he'll buy it from you most likely.

And he wants the top loader because they are simply unbreakable, plus 4 speeds are just cool. :beer:

I would sell it but mine isn't a toploader (just one of the reasons I hate it haha)

but I want overdrive like previously stated, I want to have some highway driveability

Chris06GT

Established Member
Nice project!!! Should be nice when it's done........

I couldn't help but notice in the "Almost ready for install" pic, the carb is on the intake backwards....lol.....I know it was probably just stuck on for the pic, but couldn't help noticing that....

65fastback2+2

Established Member
I have a 4 speed now and I want to switch to a T5 really bad

but thats my opinion

id most likely do a TKO. T5's are JUNK. me and a buddy went through 4 t5's and 1 t5 zspec on a stock long block 5.0 in a 65 coupe. they barely hold anything for power and you can shift through the gears easily without a good aftermarket shifter with blocks

toploader in mine, wide ratio too. from what i've read these things are beasts. its nice having the extra strength but i wish i had over drive too.

what roller parts did he use?

it looks like a roller long block with 289/302 intake, carb and front timing chain cover and accessories. thats whats done to mine. 1990 will be E7 heads.

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
Nice project!!! Should be nice when it's done........

I couldn't help but notice in the "Almost ready for install" pic, the carb is on the intake backwards....lol.....I know it was probably just stuck on for the pic, but couldn't help noticing that....

:lol: yeah I just noticed that too. That picture was taken actually a few months before it started, so it actually wasn't all that 'ready'

The rockers are 1.6's I got from a friend for $50 basically new. Other than that, its all stock 5.0 HO.

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
I have a 4 speed in my 67 stang, with the 3.90 gears, it tacks so high doing even 60mph.. I would love to put a 5 or even 6 speed in my car

sixt5

Established Member
any plans on dyno-ing it? im really thinking about building up a roller 5.0 to throw in mine. factory HO motors can be had for about 200.

Users who are viewing this thread