Engine Selection

matt281

Banned
I spoke with Coast High performance and they tell me with the trick flow upper and lower intake the engine usually produces 490-500hp NA.

It is a 347 not a 331 therefore will be taking more air in and therefore need more fuel... I have them looking into what they would recommend or injectors and the guy was gonna get back to me... Off hand he suggest 36#to 42#

Once again you guys have been a ton of help and the info is great... I look forward to moving on this and getting some pics up...:banana:

rw93cobra

Established Member
Definitely beef up the torque boxes. I went a little overkill on mine putting the battle boxes on, welding them solid the whole way around, and even put on the competition engineering lower reinforcement plate. Good luck with the car. It sounds like it should be a pretty fun ride:beer:

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
Definitely beef up the torque boxes. I went a little overkill on mine putting the battle boxes on, welding them solid the whole way around, and even put on the competition engineering lower reinforcement plate. Good luck with the car. It sounds like it should be a pretty fun ride:beer:

if they never break... it was worth it!

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
fyi i know the injectors are flywheel rated. i was being generous in saying 400rwhp. with it being a low compression motor i'll be surprised if it makes more than 375rwhp. my buddy had pretty much the same setup but it was 10.5.1 compression 331, with 36lb injectors it made 365rwhp. then he tried some 30lb injectors and guess what. it made 378rwhp and the air fuel looked alot better also. a 30lb injector will support 430flywheel hp na at 90% duty cycle. if you or anybody else wants to run way to big of an injector thats fine its your build.

like i said before it being a low compression motor its not gonna need anymore than a 30lb injector. 42s are gonna be way to much for it na, and not enough for forced induction, 42 is good to 605 flywheel na and 465 flywheel forced induction. so use 30s now and when you get a blower or turbo upgrade to 60lbers.

and btw i got a ford racing book with me tells what the injectors are good too and fuel pumps also. but what do i know:poke:

Well, first of all it doesn't surprise me that your friends car made more power with the smaller injector. It's not because the smaller injector was better though, probably because it made the car run leaner. Had he gotten it tuned correctly, it would have made the same numbers with the larger injector in place.

I just don't get the point in taking the risk with the smaller injector size. Running an injector slightly larger than what you need doesn't hurt anything, it just lowers the duty cycle of the injector. Obviously the car needs to be tuned properly, but that's going to be the case regardless.

I wasn't, and am not, trying to pick on you. However, your last post was contradictory, and I just want to try and ensure that the OP gets all the correct information. If his car only ends up making around 420hp at the flywheel, then your suggestions would obviously be fine. But if he makes more, then he's going to be looking at making another injector purchase that could have been avoided. If the builder claims 500hp (which, I'll give you is probably a little on the high side) then it would be in his best interest to assume they aren't inflating that number by 100hp, and size his injectors accordingly.

93sspcoupe

Established Member
like i said its not my build he can do whatever he wants i have no cle what im talking about.

oh and for the record it was tuned with the 36lb injectors and then tuned again with the 30s

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread