Engine Selection

matt281

Banned
I believe I have selected a way to go with the engine...

The 347 Long Block for Coast High Performance... They tell me approx. 500 hp naturally aspirated which should be plenty...

CHP PRO-STREET Long Block - Ford 347 Reverse Dome -20.1cc

Just a few questions I have...

1) I assume my stock FI system would work with this engine...
2) Engine would do okay with the stock uppper and lower intake but a trickflow set would be better...
3) Any ideas on a strong 5spd or 6spd that would match up with all existing connection points from the stock 5spd...
4) A good drive shaft supplier...
5) Stock 8.8 rear with 3:73 gears would it hold up???

93sspcoupe

Established Member
stock rear will hold for awhile. but 500hp on a srock block is pushing the limits. DO NOT USE THE STOCK INTAKE. i suggest a holley or edlebrock. fuel system you will bigger injectors and pump, 30lb and 255lph. get a tremec tko500 or a gforce t5 or a astro a5 transmission. what heads and cam are you gonna be running

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
30lb injectors won't be big enough for that setup I don't think. I have 36#ers for my 331..and I'm only planning on putting down around 400rwhp. There is a nice chart somewhere that shows you what size injectors are good for what power levels...both NA and boosted. 30#ers might work, but you may end up running them at near 100% duty cycle.

I agree with the above that using a stock block is really pushing it, and that using your stock intake is a terrible idea. A 28spline rear will live for a little while, but if you are going to spend the money on the engine, why not put a 31spline setup in the rear as well? You'll likely also want torque box re-enforcements at that power level. And upgraded brakes.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
id run a set of 42's just cuz you can get them cheap off HD's and lightnings

intake would be a e-brock victor
holly system max
trick flow box-R

trans would be a TKO600

everything in the rear should be fine just to drive it back and forth to work... anything else id say a nice diff set of 31 spline axles

rw93cobra

Established Member
Definitely don't use the stock intake, there's plenty of nice aftermarket intakes out there as mentioned before. I'd put a tko600 in just for good measure and 31 spline differential and axles if you plan on running sticky tires. When I bought my car it was putting down 550 rwhp with stock t5 and rear with 28 spline axles, but I knew I was on borrowed time with them.

matt281

Banned
I am planning on using the trick flow upper and lower... with upgraded injectors

I also plan on getting the Maximum Motorsports Grip Box Kit that should beef up the suspension

The engine comes with AFR 185cc heads....

Also I plan on a 5 lug disc conversion all the way aroun... does that come iwith 28 or 31 spline axles...

Does anyone know a good drive shaft supplier??

rw93cobra

Established Member
Ford racing makes a decent aluminum driveshaft that I would think would hold up for you. Also I believe the driveshaft shop makes a replacement driveshaft or can make one as I believe they will do any custom driveshaft. Their website is down now so I couldn't check to be sure, but I remember checking before because I was going to have them make me a custom one with all 1350 u-joints.

wheelhopper

Established Member
While the MM package is nice, you will still want to put on torque box reinforcements.

I would simply use the Ford Racing aluminum DS.

For your 5 lug, just do a Cobra brake swap to get better brakes and 5 lugs. It still will be 28 spline if you swap in the straight axle, so just order the 31 spline axles for whatever year housing your dealing with. MM should be able to help you with this when you order your suspension stuff.

You'll definitely need bigger injectors. I would go with 39# or 42# injectors cause you should be able to pick up some nice used ones cheap.

93sspcoupe

Established Member
he said, I ASSUME MY STOCK FI "FUEL INJECTION" SYSTEM WILL WORK WITH THIS ENGINE.

if this engine is n.a. use 30lb injectors. if forced inducted use 60lb injectors. and before anyone says they are to big for that setup, THEY ARE NOT...

if your gonna drag race it get the tko 500, it has a lower gear set, 327 first gear. if your gonna road race it or anything like that get the tko 600, it has a 292 first gear.

matt281

Banned
Can someone help explain "reinforcing the torque boxes"...

I will more than likely go with the 292 first gear...

This car will not be a drag rat but will get multiple chances to drag race..

What I am looking to do is have a nice rake in the stance and have it sit lower than stock but not slammed... I look to drag it... run the mountain roads near my house.... autocross.... and car shows....

Basically a high performance driver that can hold its own in just about any situation...

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
they will need to be atleast welded up. a set of battle boxes and comp engineering torque box plates will make them very stout though.

the torque boxes are where the upper and lower control arms mount to the body. they are basicly some stamped sheet metal thats spot welded together then spot welded to the rest of the body. which results in a pretty craptastic situation if you run a good sticky tire on them when it rips the welds apart

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
he said, I ASSUME MY STOCK FI "FUEL INJECTION" SYSTEM WILL WORK WITH THIS ENGINE.

if this engine is n.a. use 30lb injectors. if forced inducted use 60lb injectors. and before anyone says they are to big for that setup, THEY ARE NOT...

if your gonna drag race it get the tko 500, it has a lower gear set, 327 first gear. if your gonna road race it or anything like that get the tko 600, it has a 292 first gear.

He also asked if his stock upper and lower intake would work in question number 2.

30lb injectors may not be enough....I'd probably go 42#ers because they can be gotten cheaply, rather than risk running something to small. Here is a nice little calculator you can use to help determine which injector you should buy:
marren - fuel injection

FYI going by this calculator, a 500hp N/A 8cyl motor should be running a 39# injector if you want to mantain an 80% duty cycle. A 30# injector is really only good up to about ~380hp...so you'll definitely want something bigger.

Last edited:

93sspcoupe

Established Member
He also asked if his stock upper and lower intake would work in question number 2.

30lb injectors may not be enough....I'd probably go 42#ers because they can be gotten cheaply, rather than risk running something to small. Here is a nice little calculator you can use to help determine which injector you should buy:
marren - fuel injection

FYI going by this calculator, a 500hp N/A 8cyl motor should be running a 39# injector if you want to mantain an 80% duty cycle. A 30# injector is really only good up to about ~380hp...so you'll definitely want something bigger.

its not gonna make 500hp na. its only gonna be 400 rwhp or so. i gave my .02. if wants to listen to ya'll thats fine. i'm just saying i seen several builds just like it.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
its not gonna make 500hp na. its only gonna be 400 rwhp or so. i gave my .02. if wants to listen to ya'll thats fine. i'm just saying i seen several builds just like it.

FYI, 400 rwhp is close to 500 at the flywheel (well, maybe more like 470 assuming a 15% loss through the drivetrain). Those injector load values are not rwhp ratings, they are based on flywheel horsepower. So, if he does actually make 400rwhp then a 36-39# injector will be needed, depending on what his drive train loss actually is.

The only point I was trying to get across is a 30# injector is not going to be big enough for his intended power level. If your going to spend the money on injectors, better to error on the side of caution and get something that can support your target number plus a little more. Everybody knows a car is never done, and it sucks to have to keep replacing parts un-necessarily.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
they will need to be atleast welded up. a set of battle boxes and comp engineering torque box plates will make them very stout though.

the torque boxes are where the upper and lower control arms mount to the body. they are basicly some stamped sheet metal thats spot welded together then spot welded to the rest of the body. which results in a pretty craptastic situation if you run a good sticky tire on them when it rips the welds apart

This. Battle boxes are a must. I found this out the hard way...I've actually ripped my upper control arm mount from the body on my car twice, and that was before the 331. I no longer trust that portion of sheet metal under my car, so I'll be switching to a torque arm setup as soon as budget allows. Don't make the same mistake I did...put battle boxes on the car now.

matt281

Banned
I agree with the 40# injectors no doubt for a 500hp engine and the cost difference is minimal for a smaller injector so why not pay for the insurance.... I will have to look into these battle boxes because this is the first I have ever heard of it...

93sspcoupe

Established Member
FYI, 400 rwhp is close to 500 at the flywheel (well, maybe more like 470 assuming a 15% loss through the drivetrain). Those injector load values are not rwhp ratings, they are based on flywheel horsepower. So, if he does actually make 400rwhp then a 36-39# injector will be needed, depending on what his drive train loss actually is.

The only point I was trying to get across is a 30# injector is not going to be big enough for his intended power level. If your going to spend the money on injectors, better to error on the side of caution and get something that can support your target number plus a little more. Everybody knows a car is never done, and it sucks to have to keep replacing parts un-necessarily.

fyi i know the injectors are flywheel rated. i was being generous in saying 400rwhp. with it being a low compression motor i'll be surprised if it makes more than 375rwhp. my buddy had pretty much the same setup but it was 10.5.1 compression 331, with 36lb injectors it made 365rwhp. then he tried some 30lb injectors and guess what. it made 378rwhp and the air fuel looked alot better also. a 30lb injector will support 430flywheel hp na at 90% duty cycle. if you or anybody else wants to run way to big of an injector thats fine its your build.

like i said before it being a low compression motor its not gonna need anymore than a 30lb injector. 42s are gonna be way to much for it na, and not enough for forced induction, 42 is good to 605 flywheel na and 465 flywheel forced induction. so use 30s now and when you get a blower or turbo upgrade to 60lbers.

and btw i got a ford racing book with me tells what the injectors are good too and fuel pumps also. but what do i know:poke:

Users who are viewing this thread