Engine rebuild

50hoes

Established Member
Hey guys so tonight i will be ordering some parts for my 04 cobra motor. Just wanted some suggestions what i should buy when rebuilding my engine. Obviously pistons and new rods are in the cart also some rings but what else should i need to rebuild my motor. Would i need a new oil pump? Or is it still good

50hoes

Established Member
I'd go ahead and change the oil pump while your there, what exactly are you wanting out of the engine? Just a refreshing or a performance build?

Im trying to do a performance build. I will be purchasing a tvs next year so i want my motor to be good. I have already picked out all the rotating assembly but what else would i needd

01yellercobra

Established Member
What happened to the engine? Did it blow or are you planning on some big power? These engines are pretty tough from the factory.

50hoes

Established Member
What happened to the engine? Did it blow or are you planning on some big power? These engines are pretty tough from the factory.

Burned a piston and rings were all messed up
f04a96151a23a3e16fafab5bebc92854.jpg

01yellercobra

Established Member
Did it take out the rods and crank too?

FWIW I ran a Melling oil pump in my big bore set up. It never had oil pressure issues.

50hoes

Established Member
Did it take out the rods and crank too?

FWIW I ran a Melling oil pump in my big bore set up. It never had oil pressure issues.

Rods and crank are still good but i will get new rods use same crank

holiks03cobra

Established Member
Rods and crank are still good but i will get new rods use same crank

I would save your money and use the stock rods. Give Gibtec a call pistons. I would do ARP head studs too. You can get a set of boundary billet gears to put in the stock pump.

Last edited:

50hoes

Established Member
I would save your money and use the stock rods. Give Gibtec a call pistons. I would do ARP head studs too. You can get a set of boundary billet gears to put in the stock pump.

Anything else you recommend for a blower upgrade next year?

holiks03cobra

Established Member
Anything else you recommend for a blower upgrade next year?

Are you gonna run pump gas or e85? I would do a return fuel system, injectors, intake, and a maf.
Idk how much power you plan on making but if you're still on the 10 spline input shaft you might want to upgrade that and your clutch to the 26 spline

50hoes

Established Member
Are you gonna run pump gas or e85? I would do a return fuel system, injectors, intake, and a maf.
Idk how much power you plan on making but if you're still on the 10 spline input shaft you might want to upgrade that and your clutch to the 26 spline

No im going to be running 93 and i also have a boosta pump from kb and a mafia so im good on those and also im going to be dailying my cobra so ill be on a safe tune looking for more reliability

Zemedici

Established Member
If you're looking for reliability use stock or as close to stock as you can. By definition, the more you deviate from how it came factory the more 'unreliable' it becomes, as you're pushing more parts to their limits on a more frequent basis, that make sense?

Use the stock rods, just drop in some pistons, new gaskets, new oil pump, new plugs, just freshen it up from the outside. If its not broke dont fix it. No need to do a crank / rods and shit if they're in good shape.

50hoes

Established Member
If you're looking for reliability use stock or as close to stock as you can. By definition, the more you deviate from how it came factory the more 'unreliable' it becomes, as you're pushing more parts to their limits on a more frequent basis, that make sense?

Use the stock rods, just drop in some pistons, new gaskets, new oil pump, new plugs, just freshen it up from the outside. If its not broke dont fix it. No need to do a crank / rods and shit if they're in good shape.

Oh thanks do you think i would need new bearings while im at it or just use the same ones my cobra only has 51k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
Oh thanks do you think i would need new bearings while im at it or just use the same ones my cobra only has 51k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd go new with new bearings. They're not that much in the grand scheme of things.

Users who are viewing this thread