Engine rebuild, searched first

Vigilante

Established Member
Ok so after saving for a year I finally got all the parts needed for the rebuild.

MMR rods and pistons
Lethal oil pump
Tousley engine rebuild kit with main bolts
various other components I can't remember like EGR delete, emissions delete crap, etc.

So now that i have everything its time for the rebuild. I would prefer to drop it off to someone, but none of the shops here will quote a DOHC 4.6 so I have to ask is there anyone in Tucson AZ that I can go to? Or maybe a good service manual I can buy and do it myself? I tried searching for answers but I didn't find anything that seemed helpful.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

mustangsvt281

Established Member
Do you have the tools to rebuild a motor? the modular motor tolerances are TIGHT.

WHy the lethal oil pump? the stock unit does very well, all you need is billet gears.

yfz162

88mph....serious shit!!!!
Established Member
Yeah, an aluminum block modular is a lil different breed. If you've never worked on one before it can be a painful and expensive learning process. I would bite the bullet and send it off to MMR or another reputable modular building shop. IF you decide to tackle it yourself, a Hayne's or Chilton manual have good info. Also, machining an aluminum block requires torque plates for cylinder bore/honing and you WILL need to have it at least honed for new piston/rings. Also, the block may need to have the mains line honed.

mustangsvt281

Established Member
Yeah, an aluminum block modular is a lil different breed. If you've never worked on one before it can be a painful and expensive learning process. I would bite the bullet and send it off to MMR or another reputable modular building shop. IF you decide to tackle it yourself, a Hayne's or Chilton manual have good info. Also, machining an aluminum block requires torque plates for cylinder bore/honing and you WILL need to have it at least honed for new piston/rings. Also, the block may need to have the mains line honed.

eh the mains will be fine. I have a torque plate, the haynes manuals are ok. i actually have a factory ford manual that i can give you photocopied pages of if needed. MMR is another great option but i havent heard great things from them building wise. Also read a thread a while back where mmr was just throwing bottom ends together in the dark.

On my short block i sent it to a reputable builder in my area, i have seen his work and all his motors are tight!!! i have my crank micropolished, all tolerances check, rods pistons and crank installed and the block bored .020 over. he caught a factory defect from manley where the rod was egg shaped instead of spherical.

MMR is great and would be towards the top of my list but try to save money on shipping anf find someone local

Martin6107

Established Member
Machine work will make or break you build. There are a LOT of machine shops in KC, but very few with real experience working on aluminum blocks. Call a few of the smaller shops and ask if they have experience with your block and, if not, ask for a recommendation. Local parts stores may be able to send you in the right direction. If a shop tells you they can bore/hone your Teksid without a torque plate - run.

Users who are viewing this thread