Engine Rebuild Questions

MickeyD

Established Member
I have been getting some of the valvetrain tick that everyone gets on these 4v motors and was planning on just doing some head work. Well now I am getting ticking from the bottom end and am planning for the worst and looking into doing a 5.0L Stroker kit. I know once I open the motor up i will know more to what exactly needs to be taken care of. Now my question is since I don't have oodles of money to do a build I am wanting to know what parts I can hold off on in the build and do at a later point in time.

I know I will need to do the rotating assembly and machine work that goes along with it. Should I also just buck up and replace the oiling system or see what condition that is in? Car only has 66,000 miles on it, I'm hoping that this is in fair condition and can be reused but I also know that if the oiling system fails well so does everything else.

The other parts I plan on holding off on are going to be a new clutch and flywheel set-up and some of the valvetrain components like the springs, roller rocker arms, retainers. This is unless I tear things open and see that they need to be replaced. I do plan on replacing the lifters and timing chain, guides and cams. Really just wanting to get an idea of what components are able to be re-used to save some money on this build and some input on this is appreciated.

01yellercobra

Established Member
What are you referring to as far as the oiling system? If you're referring to the pump then yes, replace it. Even if it's just for piece of mind. I'm still a believer in the billet gears like TSS sells. I know a lot of guys don't have any issues with the stock gears, but I'm not always that lucky.

I'd get the engine apart before deciding on the 5.0. Unless that's what you really want no matter what. I'm a "no replacement for displacement" kind of guy, but if the budget is tight and your stock crank is in good shape save some money and re-use it. Just upgrade the rods and pistons and you'll be good for what 99% of us will do.

What are your goals for the car? Are you looking to go FI in the future or are you staying N/A forever? Once you decide that we can guide you a little more.

MickeyD

Established Member
Yes, I was referring to the pump and gears. So, ill chalk that up to just doing for the piece of mind aspect. In the bigger scheme its not the most expensive parts and well are needed to have the engine operate properly.

The car is basically a weekend toy because of budget reason it will be NA for a bit but I want to be able to take it FI later on. This may be like 2-3 years down the road. I do like the idea of going to the 5.0L stroker but this isn't set into stone. I am also thinking because of going FI down the road to hold off on cams and possibly just re-use my current ones and get them degreed since I know NA cams are not best for FI and vice versa.

Thanks for chiming in to help give some guidance.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The stock cams are good enough to get you over 600 with a blower. So unless they're toast I wouldn't ever worry about them. Just have them degreed like you said. If the plan is FI then definitely build for it now. Get the right pistons now for it. Personally I like keeping the compression between 9 and 9.5 for boost. It'll keep it fun for N/A and not be too high for boost.

MickeyD

Established Member
OK, so I guess the only thing I really want to see what I can get away with re-using is in the valvetrain. Are there any components that absolutely need to be replaced? Like i mentioned I will be replacing the lifters since they were making noise to begin with. I guess if springs, retainers, cams and roller rocker arms are fine then I can just re-use them.

01yellercobra

Established Member
They can be reused if they're in good shape. As for the followers make sure the roller is smooth with no grinding and no abnormal wear on the tip where it touches the valve tip. The only way to really inspect the springs is with a tester. A good machine shop should have one. However, if there is a small chance you'll be swapping cams someday now is the time to swap springs.

MickeyD

Established Member
Right, if some of the OEM components are showing abnormal or excessive wear, they will be getting replaced. And with holding off on the cams, doing the spring and retainers makes sense then so the cams could just be swapped at a later date and not have to pull the heads completely apart.

Thanks again for the input, still have to get the engine torn down and see what is occurring exactly but I have a better idea of what I need to end up doing when it comes to the parts.

Users who are viewing this thread