Engine Rebuild Options

1998Venom

Established Member
I've recently surpassed the 100,000 mile, and am trying to determine was is the best approach to extend the enjoyment of my car for sometime to come.:shrug:

I do receive periodic 1516 codes, and have performed the Seafoam fix several time, however, am not overly satisfied with how she runs these days (she deserves better!:cuss: ), and am kind of fed up with every joe schmoe with a newer car trying to run with me. I'm looking for ideas, anticipated costs and recommended shops to perform the work. Thanks in advance!

mystical

Established Member
If the motor is fine, why rebuild? Take care of the code and get some gears. Take will wake her up.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
This is where I stand on mine. It's being built for another 5 years of daily driving at 500 rwhp:

MMR 900 shortblock
billet oil pump gears
billet trigger wheel
ARP studs
7 qt oil pan
shipping...$3500

JMSChip headwork and engine install...$2500

ProMotion 750 HP t45
Spec stage 2 clutch
install...$2500

Vortech v2-SQ kit
dyno time...$3000

It can get expensive in a hurry, but, I'm gonna do it once right and not do it a second time. This way I should be all set on another 5 years of daily driving and I'll be ready for those pesky new Camaros and Challengers when they hit the streets soon enough here.

fullofvenom

Established Member
I'm in the same boat right now, sort of. Just over 100K and becoming a service nightmare. Mine is apart in my garage until I decide my path. The secondary ports were so dirty it was like tar. I am NOT putting the runner controls back in. I've got it all cleaned up, but the only thing left in the car is the block/heads and tranny. I think my best option is to yank it out and get some 03/04 heads and put a carb on it.

As was said, horsepower isn't cheap.

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
This is where I stand on mine. It's being built for another 5 years of daily driving at 500 rwhp:

MMR 900 shortblock
billet oil pump gears
billet trigger wheel
ARP studs
7 qt oil pan
shipping...$3500

JMSChip headwork and engine install...$2500

ProMotion 750 HP t45
Spec stage 2 clutch
install...$2500

Vortech v2-SQ kit
dyno time...$3000

It can get expensive in a hurry, but, I'm gonna do it once right and not do it a second time. This way I should be all set on another 5 years of daily driving and I'll be ready for those pesky new Camaros and Challengers when they hit the streets soon enough here.

I'm doing basically the same engine work as you. MMR 900, ported heads, etc. I am undecided on tranny. May just pick up a used t56 for like a grand. Then the eaton + spray. I should be able to keep it right at 5gs and hope I the rear end doesn't break for a while. (I already have the blower and nitrous kit).

P.S. I'm sitting on about 130,xxx right now.

Last edited:

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
Do some IMRC deletes, shortrunner intake, x pipe, catback and some 4.30's. After a dynotune the car will make over 300/300 and be lots of fun.

1998Venom

Established Member
Thanks to all for your responses to date, and thanks to those that will continue to post responses. In addition, are there shops that I should stay away from?

Wildpony

Established Member
Yeah
Your "neighbor" up in the "GWN"- Hyland .
Take it down to Alt Auto in Michigan (Mt Clemons) & be done with it...
(586) 463-0010 ( yeah I know that's the old number but it will transfer over to his new shop in Westerfield(?))

Users who are viewing this thread