Engine rebuild is almost done!

jmichalicek

Established Member
Well, actually, the rebuild is done. Now the engine just has to get back to the shop putting it back in the car.

So, anyway, for those who don't remember (most of you, I'm betting), I found I'd spun a bearing in my '99 Cobra a couple of months back. I went to a few places including a local Ford dealership and a local performance shop that I've had recommended several times. The prices were ridiculous at $6k-$8k to drop in a completely stock used long block, not even necessarily an aluminum block, let alone an actual cobra motor.

Fortunately, the svtp and central virginia mustang club forums came through for me and directed me to Mike Rousch at Mid-Atlantic Performance. I've been working with him and Springfield Custom Auto Machine and my rebuild is done. Mike is going to try to pick it up this week and then I imagine it'll go in the car next week. I hope that's the case, anyway.

Due to not having the money to also put a blower on it and not likely having the money for several years, I went a slightly different route than many of you on here have gone. It'll still be a decent improvement over stock and I should be able to run at least low boost without blowing it up if I do get the money for a blower.

So, on to the specs:
ModMax 4340 forged crank
ModMax 4340 forged h-beam rods with ARP 2000 bolts
Mahle 4302 forged flat top pistons, 11.5:1 cr at 46cc chamber, so that should put me around 10.5:1
ARP main studs and windage tray
ARP head studs
Oil pump with billet gears
Bored .02 over and honed with torque plate
Heads milled
Full valve job as long as everything was apart anyway
Custom tune with an xcal3 once the motor is back in the car

And, just for good measure because I was already blowing a ton of money and wanted to feel a big difference after dropping that much money on the car, a set of 4.10 gears out back.

So, it's not going to be anything crazy, but it's still going to feel like a rocket to me after driving it completely stock for so many years. I'll double check with Mike, but if I do get into a situation that I can justify a blower I'd think that with an intercooler and safe tune I could still run low boost with that build, too. Nothing wild, maybe 6-8 lbs... possibly 10 if I'm lucky (and feeling brave?) and maybe switch to thicker head gaskets? Does that sound potentially reasonable or am I just talking crazy now?

Users who are viewing this thread