Engine question

Cobra52898

Muscle/Performance car junkie
Established Member
Engine build question

Will it be possible to get 600 RWHP out of a 98 Cobra with 10.4:1 CR stock bore pistons, S-Trim with after cooler, stock cams and heads with mild porting, rev limiter bumped up to 7200 on pump gas? On a tight budget and trying to consider all my options. Thank you

Last edited:

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Will it be possible to get 600 RWHP out of a 98 Cobra with 10.4:1 CR stock bore pistons, S-Trim with after cooler, stock cams and heads with mild porting, rev limiter bumped up to 7200 on pump gas? On a tight budget and trying to consider all my options. Thank you

stock bottom end except for pistons? that compression plus enough boost to make 600hp and pump gas is a bad combo especially with no IC. being a cheapo in the beginning usually ends in unhappiness-just sayin...

KCRN12

Established Member
stock bottom end except for pistons? that compression plus enough boost to make 600hp and pump gas is a bad combo especially with no IC. being a cheapo in the beginning usually ends in unhappiness-just sayin...

What he said. If you're gonna do it, save your money and do it right.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Unfortunately it is a recipe for disaster with the stock bottom end. You should look into something like our piston and rod combo which start @ $799, they will get you up to 750 HP reliably and not destroy your wallet on the way there. Of course other things such as labor, gaskets etc should also be factored in however. You may also want to just take out your shortblock (while it is still in 1 piece and worth something), sell it and get something like the MMR 900SE shortblock, we could do one of those for you for a special SVTP price of $2499!!

Good luck with your you project, please call if we can ever help!

MMR

greg%20pro%20car.jpg
Mark%20ol.jpg

Cobra52898

Established Member
I wasn't very clear in my post. I'm not suggesting cutting corners on the build. The build would include a completely forged bottom end, fully balanced and assembled with ARP fasteners. What I am trying to determine is can a forged bottom end without boring for larger pistons be able to make 600 RWHP at 10.4:1 CR, S-Trim with Intercooler etc... This is more a question of piston selection and will it be possible to attain my goals using my existing S-Trim.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Yes, 100%, the s-trim with belt slip controlled will make up to 600 no problem. Boost is the key! Just be careful with the higher compression, creep up on the tune slowly starting in the 10.8 to 1 AF range and 12-14 degrees of timing (for pump fuel of course)

Last edited:

Cobra52898

Established Member
Yes, 100%, the s-trim with belt slip controlled will make up to 600 no problem. Boost is the key! Just be careful with the higher compression, creep up on the tune slowly starting in the 10.8 to 1 AF range and 12-14 degrees of timing (for pump fuel of course)
Thank you for the response. It's a relief knowing I can reach my performance goals without having to replace my supercharger and aftercooler. I understand timing is going to be a little tricky but is doable.
How much boost should I pulley the S/C for after the build? Currently with the stock bottom end (9.85:1 CR) I'm at 10.5 PSI at 6500 to 6800 RPM at the intake manifold. Someone else told me that I shouldn't go above 8 PSI with 10.4:1 CR.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread