engine problems

slvrsvtlghtng

Established Member
I just installed a short block and now it runs like crap. rough idle and rough at any rpm and it sounds like it is back firing. it was sitting for about 5 months before I put the engine in so I dont know if it is bad fuel. Someone please help.

slvrsvtlghtng

Established Member
I did the cam timing twice to make sure it was right and both times it came out the same also I have the ford repair book and went by the instructions

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
Did you actually degree the cams? Some are manufactured straight up and some are advanced. Assembly issues on stock cams could have them advanced or retarded as well?

There has also been discussion about machining inconsistancies in the stock cam gears (the removable type for aftermarket cams). If your cams are advanced 5 degrees and your sprockets are off a few degrees, this can add up to trouble (and bent valves). When you degree that cams, you know exactly when the valve events occur and can match those events to the advertised cam specs.

What are the details of your top end, stock or aftermarket cams, gears, etc.?

Herb

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
bent valve?
that will make it run damn ruff. cam timing could too but even if they werent degreed on the money the truck would not run that ruff. but if it is ideling like a drag car i would say the valve

slvrsvtlghtng

Established Member
cant be bent valve after I put the timing chains on I took the spark plugs out and turned it over by hand at least 10 times to make sure evry thing was ok and there was no binding like you would have if you hit a valve

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
Five months could knock the edge off of the fuel - It would be worth pumping the suspect gas out and refilling with fresh premium. May even be worth a fuel injector cleaning.

After that - go through the basics.

Compression check
Leakdown test
fuel pressure check

Also double check for large vacuum leaks like EGR and all of the manifold gasket interfaces. Check the operation of the IAC valve.

Herb

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
slvrsvtlghtng said:
cant be bent valve after I put the timing chains on I took the spark plugs out and turned it over by hand at least 10 times to make sure evry thing was ok and there was no binding like you would have if you hit a valve
but while putting the chains on did you "slip" and let the cams spring back. not saying you ****ed up dude but it happened to me and mine was eversoslightly tweeked and the truck ran like ass

slvrsvtlghtng

Established Member
well it had a little fuel in it and I filled it up all the way. Also the injectors are new and I deleted the egr

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
then i am lost
maybe check to make sure all the vac lines are hooked up. i am sure you checked but double and tripple check just to make sure

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
Do the compression test. You can get a Sunpro compressio gauge at any parts store for $30 or less, if you don't have one now.

That will tell you for sure if you are getting good cylinder seal at the valve seats (as well as ring problems).

Herb

Users who are viewing this thread