Engine Problems...Help Needed

KenneSVT

GOT BOOST??
Established Member
Okay here's the problem. Ever since Friday night I have been having problems with my L. I sprayed the engine bay down really good with tire shine. Ever since then, if I get into my motor really quick..(..as far as a kick down and acceleration right after that..)..my boost will rap out and my rpms will go up really fast but the L doesnt move. Its like im in park or something. I figured this was belt slip....correct me if im wrong. There is no noise except for the blower whine :-D . Now here's another problem. It did it again today and ever since then, the L is really slow to accelerate. Feels like it doesnt have a supercharger......until I get to 3000 RPMs then it picks up acceleration somewhat normal. What could cause the sudden slowness of acceleration? Maybe I fried a plug or somethin?? I dont know.......Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated....thanks guys in advance!

1blacksvt

Established Member
That happened to me once when I washed my engine bay. Took it to several places to get checked and they coundn't find anything. It lasted for a week then it just went away I guess something got wet that caused it. Hopefully its nothing bad on yours either.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Make sure the MAF is clean. Did you wash the bay first or just apply tire shine? You may have gotten water down into one of the boots of the coil packs. You may want to pull them all out and blow out the hole with compressed air if you can to ensure they are dry.

Are you making the normal amount of boost?

KenneSVT

GOT BOOST??
Established Member
I sprayed the engine and engine bay with simple green, rinsed it down with a hose, let it dry....then sprayed tire shine a few hours later. I guess it will just have to dry out on its own. Its still actin weird. I wont have any tools or anything to do it untill this weekend. As far as the boost is concerned, I have no idea. Im still running the stock boost gauge.

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
ACSVT said:
This is EXACTLY why I have not washed my engine.

+1 Try letting it idle for a while, hopefully its just water and itll dry w/ the heat. Now then why in the world would you spray the engine down really good with tire shine? I can see maybe some belt dressing and stuff but Id never spray it down with tire shine... A lot of that stuff is gooey as all hell, what kind did you use just out of curiosity?

KenneSVT

GOT BOOST??
Established Member
I dont know the name brand. Its extreme tire shine. I was going to a car meet and wanted it to look good. Everyone said it looked brand new. It should dry out. If its not better by friday im gonna have it checked out.

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
Sounds like belt slip...... gooey stuff must have got on there.........

If you have another belt, try it, otherwise, you may have to get one anyway because that goo almost never comes off

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
KenneSVT said:
extreme tire shine

Ive used that... Is it Meguires? Cant remember but I think it was spray not gel? Anyway there are other products that are better than tire dressing for this app.

LightningMAS

Banned
i use armorall in my engine bay.. i never spray water in my engine bay.. never will..

how is my engine bay clean? when the motor was apart, i cleaned everything then put it back together....

if u do spray the engine down.. be sure to put plastic bag over the fuse box, airfilter, and battery..

Silver04L

93 Octane Member
Established Member
I bet its just really bad belt slip. I would take fade's advice though and check the plug holes, how's the idle?

Bikeboy77

Established Member
Have you ever felt how slippery tire shine spray is?? If you got any of that on your belt or pulley there is no way it's not gonna slip on you. I would spray the belt and pulley down with some kinda of cleaner a couple of times to get all the residue off and try it again.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
could be a combination of belt slip (very likely imo) and potentially a bad coil. i want to hose down my engine bay as well, but im afraid to ruin the coils. when i bought my truck i took it for a test ride and it ran like crap. i went back to the dealer and he had just recently washed the engine bay and turns out two coils went bad. they had to replace them on the spot before i left with my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread