Engine "PING"

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
I have installed a "superchip" to finish the mods on my 03, rest of mods in sig. Anyway put it in last night and WOW what a blast. This car continues to react to mods.

I noticed a ping on the highway if I WOT from say 60 mph in 5th or 6th gear giving the engine a load.

I am using Amoco 93 octane.

I am considering taking it out, have 20 miles on the chip.

Anyone else experience this and no I do not have a Dyno close to me??

Yellow Snake

Darkside Is Near
Established Member
Give it a chance to get used to the new parameters of this new chip, see if it goes away........
Did it ping before the install?
Please tell me they got it right with the 03s and hope that the 01 debacle is,nt still haunting us SVT guys.:read:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by Yellow Snake
Please tell me they got it right with the 03s and hope that the 01 debacle is,nt still haunting us SVT guys.:read:
I picked my car up on Aug. 22, in the heat of summer and once it was broken in, I had no problems WOT 2-3 gear in 100+ South Texas temps, with the stock program... I don't think the new heads have the ping problem some of the '01s have...

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by Yellow Snake
Give it a chance to get used to the new parameters of this new chip, see if it goes away........
Did it ping before the install?

Absolutley no ping before the chip :gt:

I am almost out of gas so I am trying a different gas station, maybe the brand new shell station by the highway.

I must comment that the chip does wonders for the car.

Bassani exhaust made a huge leap in power!

After adding the 2.93 dub pulley a week ago, the car was insane.

Now with the chip it is just nUtS .... :burnout: :burnout:

I will report back with any changes to the PING.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
I also need some street slicks, it takes nothing to light em up now.

Where does one buy rims and slicks and what size?

mds370

Established Member
I would try closing the gap on the plugs to .35 to see if it helps. I know some guys running a diablo chip with the tr6s with no pinging. If that doesn't work I would definately get in touch with the person you got the chip from . You may need to get a dyno tune to correct the lean condition causing the detonation.

hope this helps

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
Well seeing the people install a chip and the a/f going to 13 + my guess is your about a hair away from having a hole in a piston or blown headgasket. I would NOT drive it like that. You are hurting the engine.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by Got Incon?
Well seeing the people install a chip and the a/f going to 13 + my guess is your about a hair away from having a hole in a piston or blown headgasket. I would NOT drive it like that. You are hurting the engine.

Yes my exact concern!!

Fresh fill up today with shell 93 octane at a brand new station.

That last tank of fuel had been in there for at least a month if not longer.

Nice drive on highway for about an hour, punched it a few times in 5th and then 6th from like 40 mph, nice load on the engine in 6th at WOT.

Not one ping at all, I even tried up a steep hill from 35 mph in 6th and no ping, just insane acceleration :burnout: :burnout:

Wonder if the fuel was issue? or the eec had to adjust itself for the new paramters of the chip?

I'll check it again tomorrow night ......

:read:

Users who are viewing this thread