Engine noise ?

jbsnake

Established Member
So right when the engine comes under load, right at the beginning of acceleration, when the clutch engages, there is a sort of quick rattle, clacking sound. It's just for a split second, and usually only if it is hot outside. I have heard this sound in other vehicles before, but never my own so I was never concerned. Is it because CA only offers 91 octane and the engine was designed for 93? Maybe I need new plugs? Ideas? Thanks

sleepermobile

Established Member
So right when the engine comes under load, right at the beginning of acceleration, when the clutch engages, there is a sort of quick rattle, clacking sound. It's just for a split second, and usually only if it is hot outside. I have heard this sound in other vehicles before, but never my own so I was never concerned. Is it because CA only offers 91 octane and the engine was designed for 93? Maybe I need new plugs? Ideas? Thanks
Check the timing chain and tensioner, or just the timing!!!

jbsnake

Established Member
marbles in a can sound?

yeah kinda like that. doesn't happen too often, like i said only when it's hot outside and the engine's hot as well. i'll check timing chain tensioner and timing, but it seems like neither would cause an intermittant sound like that...

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
yeah kinda like that. doesn't happen too often, like i said only when it's hot outside and the engine's hot as well. i'll check timing chain tensioner and timing, but it seems like neither would cause an intermittant sound like that...

Sounds like a timing issue to me.

Are you running a canned tune on it? or is your car dyno tuned?

I see SCT in your sig..What do you use it for?

jbsnake

Established Member
Sounds like a timing issue to me.

Are you running a canned tune on it? or is your car dyno tuned?

I see SCT in your sig..What do you use it for?

Yeah it was dyno tuned by a shop around here a couple years ago- I haven't changed anything since then but the midpipe (replaced o/r x with bassani x w/cats to get the cops off my back).

I've got some basic mechanical knowledge but I've never messed with the timing. Where do I start?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread