Engine Miss WTF?

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Hi guys, I am having a issue with my 03' Terminator. On Friday evening my car started to miss and stumble a little bit. It was noticeably rough but not real bad like it would with a complete missfire. It was brief and then started to run smooth again after about a minute. Ever since then I have had it go from running smooth to slightly rough then back to smooth. Then yesterday while I was sitting still idling it started to stumble and almost stalled altogether. I got it home and pulled all the plugs and they all looked good. I did have an issue with the timesert insert that I had installed in #6. It was never seated properly and I was getting a litttle blowby that was lifting the coil a tad out of the hole. I removed the bad insert and put a fresh one in that locked in nicely. Thought I had nailed the problem. Fire it up (running great) and run to Circle K and it starts missing again on my way home. While it's missing it continues all throughout the RPM range. It can be sitting idling on the driveway just fine then stumble and die out of the blue. All the while it will never throw a CEL. When it runs smooth it is fast as hell. The misfire seems to vary in intensity from just barely noticeable to completly WTF? It usually starts off as a slight miss and gets progressively worse and stays bad for a bit. Then it slowly goes back to normal. It doesn't appear to be a on andf off problem. Anybody have any idea's?

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
Oxygen sensor going bad? Do you have any software that can watch fuel trim? Oxygen sensor can cause this kind of behavior.

Last edited:

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Hmmm Interesting, I have been hearing a slight exhaust leak lately from underneath. I wonder if one of my O2's came loose?

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
Well, they could be tight. You may need to test them and that usually requires an oscilloscope. The easiest is if you could get a hold of software to look at fuel trim and other OBDII related stuff. I use this - www.scantool.net and my laptop. Very useful tool!!

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
I can use my Xcal for that too. I just need to track down my dc to ac power inverter so I can run my laptop for a long enough period. I briefly watched my fuel trims wth my actron scanner last night on a drive but they didn't seem out of whack. Of course the car didn't misbehave either!

Users who are viewing this thread