Engine knock when in "wrong gear"

lshin037

Established Member
Wondering if this is normal.
KR on the gauge goes up when I grab a high gear. Lets say Im cruising at 60 mph on 6th gear. If I drop it to 5th and press the pedal quick about halfway the knock starts. It wont happen if I press the pedal slowly. It also wont happen if I drop it to 4th and WOT which I believe is the right way to do it. Otherwise there's no knock. I can do a "pass" (easy the throttle on first but WOT at 2nd, 3rd, 4th, so on) and there will be no knock. Is this normal?

noldevin

Established Member
First you need to determine if its a fuel or timing issue, or false knock. Add some torco to your next fill and see if you still get the same knock.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Wondering if this is normal.
KR on the gauge goes up when I grab a high gear. Lets say Im cruising at 60 mph on 6th gear. If I drop it to 5th and press the pedal quick about halfway the knock starts. It wont happen if I press the pedal slowly. It also wont happen if I drop it to 4th and WOT which I believe is the right way to do it. Otherwise there's no knock. I can do a "pass" (easy the throttle on first but WOT at 2nd, 3rd, 4th, so on) and there will be no knock. Is this normal?

Are you lugging the engine?

lshin037

Established Member
First you need to determine if its a fuel or timing issue, or false knock. Add some torco to your next fill and see if you still get the same knock.
I know its not a fuel issue and I'm on meth. The meth only sprays after 3psi and I'm not tuned for it as it's just for extra safety. I can duplicate at will. Im thinking it's false knock but wanted to know for sure.

Are you lugging the engine?
This....is what I've been looking for. I've been searching the internet for awhile researching this but I guess I was using the wrong keywords. THANK YOU. Lugging... that's exactly what Im doing. Just read up an article from Road & Track and it says it's bad for the engine but even worse for turbocharged engines. I have a centri on mine though. I guess I need to learn to drive. But should this cause knock?

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I know its not a fuel issue and I'm on meth. The meth only sprays after 3psi and I'm not tuned for it as it's just for extra safety. I can duplicate at will. Im thinking it's false knock but wanted to know for sure.

This....is what I've been looking for. I've been searching the internet for awhile researching this but I guess I was using the wrong keywords. THANK YOU. Lugging... that's exactly what Im doing. Just read up an article from Road & Track and it says it's bad for the engine but even worse for turbocharged engines. I have a centri on mine though. I guess I need to learn to drive. But should this cause knock?

Yes, that will make the engine sound like it is knocking and is terrible for your engine. Quit doing it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread