Engine goes lean at part throttle

BWH2003

Established Member
I have a problem that I cannot figure out and could really use some help.

I took the car out of winter storage about two months ago. It ran great the first three times I had it out. I brought the car out again last week and it starting acting up and it is still doing it.

The car goes extremely lean at 10-60% throttle. I have seen the afr go between 16 - 25 and it hesitates as if the car cant pull its own weight. Now I have been working on it for three days now and I thought I would be able to figure it out but im lost. It is really bad in third/four gear. If I have it in third or fourth at 2000 rpm and go above 60% throttle the car hesitates for three seconds, the afr goes above 16, but then the car afr drops to 11-12 and it takes off like it should. If I do the same but leave the throttle under 60% the car continues to hesitate and the afr stays at above 16. I also have a slight vibration at idle, almost like a misfire as you can hear it pop in the exhaust. At idle the afr is 13.4 - 14.3

Here is a list of what I have done and checked so far:

I first replaced all spark plugs because I have had a hesitation before and it was the spark plugs the last time (The last time the afr did NOT go lean).

After that didnt fix the problem I checked all sensors in the car. The maf sensor gives values between 5 Gm/s at idle to close to 200 Gm/s at full throttle. The tps sensor ranges from .6 to 4.57 volts and has no dead spots. I also checked the MAP sensor.

I then measured all the coils at the top two prongs and they were .7 ohms cold and .9 hot. Everything I have read says the coils should be under 1 ohm. Is this correct?

I did a KOEO and KOER test and it reported missing egr (which has been deleted and turned off in the tune) and o2 sensors rich and not switching. I replaced both o2 sensors and the problem still persists. I redid the KOER test and it only reported the missing egr.

I also looked into the fuel pumps and FRPS but everything seems fine. At all points in the throttle the car maintains 39 psi give or take 3 psi.

So to sum up I have ruled out basically everything but tune and computer. From what I have read the computers either seem to fail or work but not act up. Have any of you ever heard of a tune changing or somehow going bad? I plan to reflash the tune in today sometime but I was hoping someone here could give me some other ideas or places to look.

I usually just look into problems and fix them myself but this time I am lost and could really use the help. Thanks in advance to any ideas you guys may have.

BWH2003

Established Member
Another thing that I have noticed as part of data logging is the load reading for the car goes above 100%. I thought that wasn't possible and tonight I got the load up to 160%. Tried reflashing the tune tonight and still the same problem. If anyone has even one other idea I would be more than happy to try it.

mu347stang

Established Member
Im having the same problem and with my f.a.s.t dual wideband is only shows lean on one bank. I've replaced plugs and checked everything I can and nothing has helped. It started after I replaced the clutch so im going to check if i pinched a wire in the bellhousing. I'm still checking things I'll let you know what I find. Let me know if you figure anything out.

Mike

UncleDan

Established Member
I would get the tune checked out ASAP. Your engine is a time bomb running that lean... It's good that you checked out the basics so far, but it sounds like you have issues with the fuel delivery system itself. I'm not sure what mods you have or what kind of tuner you use, but if I were you I'd plug it in and make sure it's properly set to whatever setup your running. Probably wouldn't hurt to bring it into a shop either.

BWH2003

Established Member
I would get the tune checked out ASAP. Your engine is a time bomb running that lean... It's good that you checked out the basics so far, but it sounds like you have issues with the fuel delivery system itself. I'm not sure what mods you have or what kind of tuner you use, but if I were you I'd plug it in and make sure it's properly set to whatever setup your running. Probably wouldn't hurt to bring it into a shop either.

Yeah I hear you there. Actually Rick at Amazon Tuning is the tuner for the car and I can say he has been more than helpful throughout the process. The reason I posted was to see what ideas others had about the issue. I think we are both dumbfounded as to what is happening with the car.

I reflashed the last tune Rick gave me. It was fine two weeks ago with the same tune and now its lean. It seems every sensor is good and thats why im lost. While using the diagnostics on the predator the short term fuel trends are at +25% which I guess is the max it can pull out of the car. So it is definitely super lean which is what the wideband is indicating.

The only thing left is something to do with fuel delivery but it holds 39 psi and really doesnt change. The odd part about all this is at full throttle the afr is good. Its just everywhere else the car hesitates and goes really lean.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
Sounds like you might have a bad 02 sensor.

You said the car runs normal at full throttle.

At full throttle the computer is primary looking at the MAF values.

At part throttle it's looking at the O2s.

Get two new ford front O2 sensors. Forget the rear sensor. You don't need them if they are still there.

Make sure you look at the wires and insure they haven't gotten damaged by an exhaust pipe or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread