Engine Failsafe Mode

RedZR

Established Member
I recently added a JLT 123 2013/14 TVS, VMP pump booster and a 2.4 pulley to my 2008 GT500. I also had the car tuned at a very reputable tuner via a Lund remote tune session. I also had a new RXT added.

After putting about 200 miles on the car I experienced something today that I need some advice on. I was pulling away from some traffic in 3rd gear at about 3-4k rpm (gradual acceleration- not too abrupt) and I see the "Engine failsafe mode" light come on and the car shut off. I pulled over and it restarted with no problem. I tried to replicate the problem and could not get it to do it again. The car was running fine (before & after) and all the gauges were reading ok. Also, no trouble codes were found when I scanned it with my x4.

First, what kicks it into this mode (too lean, too rich ??) and anyone have any thoughts on what may be causing this>

Dan

Willie

Established Member
I'm relatively certain it's a throttle body actuator issue. It normally triggers Code P2104 but not always. Unplug the connector at the TB and replug it, making sure it seats completely. I've had issues with this countless times with many different TB's and having to unplug/replug every time I change it. It's definitely tempermental....

Joewee500

Established Member
When I had the Kenne bell on my car it would failsafe on the 3-4 shift almost every time if I was over 50% throttle. It can be tuned out. Lund is good at turning off whatever triggers the Fail Safe,

RedZR

Established Member
An update- not good news.

I have not had a chance to take the car back to my shop (because of winter) but I did clean and reconnect all the throttle body connections. I took it out again today and it went into fail safe mode twice.

It seems that if you hold the car at 2500 rpms in 3rd gear and then gradually speed up it trips fail safe mode. No coded and it starts right back up.

Arggggggg

MastaAce03

Established Member
I was talking to a guy recently that had the exact same issue. The problem for him is that the tune was adjusted to the wrong throttle body. Have your tuner triple check the throttle body specifics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedZR

Established Member
I was talking to a guy recently that had the exact same issue. The problem for him is that the tune was adjusted to the wrong throttle body. Have your tuner triple check the throttle body specifics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will do- thank you!

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
I had this happen with my '08 . It began off a stop, stalled and restarted no problem. But it began happening repeatedly later the same day. I kept restarting and limped home. My tuner found it was an issue with tiny fluctuation voltage signal to the L&M TB. It was fixed and never went fail safe again.

RedZR

Established Member
I had this happen with my '08 . It began off a stop, stalled and restarted no problem. But it began happening repeatedly later the same day. I kept restarting and limped home. My tuner found it was an issue with tiny fluctuation voltage signal to the L&M TB. It was fixed and never went fail safe again.

Thanks very much- you are giving me hope. Aside from this small issue the car pulls like crazy with the TVS. Its very, very quick.

RedZR

Established Member
Intake or throttle body?
What do you base that on? I was thinking about a larger throttle body but did not want to complicate things

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread