Engine does not start (electrical problem?) HELP!!!

twinturbo2v

I have a 2002 twin turbo gt. I cant get it to start. it cranks and turns over for like less than a split second and dies. It backfires every once in a while if you hold the gas down.

Ford has replaced my pcm 2 times because they said there was a loose wire due to someone changing the odometer, but they said they fixed that issue which was causing the pcms to blow. I got the car out of the shop and 4 hrs later it stopped running. I went inside a store, came back out and out of no where the car doesnt start... it was running perfect when i got it from ford. I took it back to ford and they tested (well they said they did atleast) and said the new pcm is still fine (they said looks like the engine wiring harness may have a short) but they wanted $1500 to get the entire engine bay harness because my yr isnt made anymore and $2500 for install and yaddy yaddy yaddy. Doesnt that seem outrageous for the job and i was like "not happening".

So im going to change the spark plugs and drain gas tank and fuel rails incase someone put water in it and maybe change fuel filter even though it was changed less than a year ago with only 2000miles on the car since that day.

Here is a list of things that have been done recently:

-Fuel fileter was changed 1yr ago
-new iac 2months ago
-new tps 1 month ago
- after market tune to eliminate the o2s (no mid pipe, open headers)
-after market tune has pats turned off
-Fuel pressure gage reads 40lbs
-alternator tested out good
-battery is still good
maybe bad maf??:??:

anyone have this happen to them? its driving me crazy? maybe some punks put water in my tank? or too much injector cleaner? something seems to be cutting off the spark bc it cranks and goes vrooooommm and dies out immeditaly. any ideas? :shrug:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Bad MAF or MAFia if you have one maybe?

First question, why are you bringing it to Ford? They arent going to have the ability to really diagnose your car with all the aftermarket stuff on it, unless they know about aftermarket mustang tuning and such. The easiest thing for them to say is to shotgun a PCM and harness in it. With your mods you should be bringing it to a performance shop that knows these cars with these types of parts in it.

Who did the tune? Could possibly be an issue with the tune. Do you have fuel pressure, if so where is it at? What type of MAF, where is it located? What injectors/fuel system? Please give us some info on your setup. Is it a 2v or 4v? Stock engine? Cams etc.

Is it setting any codes? There are so many things that it can be. Its very very hard to diagnose your issue over the internet with so little information. It can be 1000 things. It could be anywhere from a blown fuse on a BAP to a bad PCM. We need more info

Users who are viewing this thread