Engine Dies/Rough Idle/Gurggling from Fuel Tank - Hot Day

90FoX

Established Member
Hi everyone,

Was hoping for some help with a weird problem I encountered yesterday.

I have a 1996 cobra (all stock) and drove it around for some errands yesterday hit a couple stores and returned home. It was hot out about 90 degrees. I heard some weird noises from the car after parking at home, almost like a hissing sound and didn't think anything of it, assuming it was my a/c as I was running the a/c and the car was settling.

About 30-45 minutes after getting home I needed to leave again, but the car wouldn't stay running. I would start it, it would idle extremely rough for a few seconds then die. I tried this three or four times then gave up. I could keep it alive by tapping on the throttle, but it was misfiring and very rough then would die if I stopped giving throttle. It would not stay running. At the same time I heard some gurgling from the rear of the car. I can only assume this was from the fuel tank. When I would turn the key on with engine off, the fuel pump would prime but I also heard a gurgling sound. Even when I gave up and locked the car I could hear a bit of gurgling in the rear of the car. Was in a rush so I didn't have time to investigate or open the gas cap to see if there was excess pressure in the tank. In hindsight, I wish I did.

A few hours later the car started fine, idle was good and no gurgling sounds. It ran normally. Tried this morning and car runs normal now.

Any suggestions? I did a few hours of research and can't find much about gurgling sounds and rough idle/engine dying on a hot day.

Could the hot day warm the fuel to create more than normal vapors which then had problems venting to the vapor canister? Maybe the vapor was able to escape the the canister and causing a vacuum in the tank which pulled in air to the tank causing the fuel the bubble or gurgle?

In Oct 2015 I had a code pop up for P1443 relating the evap system. I replaced the purge canister solenoid and sensor in the engine bay cleared the code and the code returned recently. I cleared it with my scan tool and it hasn't returned. I wonder if this is all related. Maybe the canister is bad causing the code and if clogged is not allowing the fuel vapor to escape the tank?

On the SHO forums, people are suggesting the fuel pump being bad. Would a fuel pump gurgle like this? Maybe vapor was trapped in the fuel lines, but that should have cleared after a few seconds of running right?

I'm not too familiar with the fuel system, but I also read that a check valve may be bleeding fuel pressure back into the tank not allowing enough to run the car?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long story.

Many thanks!

FoX

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread