Engine detonation

QTR

STAGE 3
Established Member
So, due to my bad luck, the engine had some detonation and I lost a piston.

Not much options to rebuild here. So my question is, what else do I need to drop the MMR1000 short block in my car ?

I looked into other options and MMR has the most competitive prices. I just hope it's good quality since dealing with problems overseas could be a major headache.

Since I'm doing this, I'll be lowering the compression as well since I don't want to risk detonation again. I know if I spin the crap out of this TVS it won't produce much on a lower compression like 9 or 10:1.

I do have the option of dropping in the Boss assembly and calling it a day, but I'll still be at 11:1 and that wouldn't be good with our 93 pump gas.

Let me know what you guys think, and if you have any other suggestions on what I should do.

Thanks,

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
On a budget I would buy the 5.0 Aluminator short block. You can get a deal from Tousley Ford. They come a NA and FI piston/ compression configuration.
Or spend a few more bucks and order up a high quality short block from JPC.

Last edited:

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
How much boost/power were you pushing when this occurred?
I say done it once, the right way, and be done. JPC should be able to take care of your needs. If you're wanting to run at a high power level since you're rebuilding anyway, I wouldn't recommend dropping compression unless you plan on a adding a big head unit.

QTR

STAGE 3
Established Member
Believe it or not I was pushing 550~rwhp. It could've been a bad tank of gas or the tune, can't tell for sure.

The Aluminator sounds although a little expensive for me.

Damn, I'm lost now.

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
Must have been an aggressive tune? What size injectors and BAP?
Tousley aluminator would probably be cheapest route then.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I've had great luck with MMR through a few motors, all the guys over there are very helpful and have always had good things to say about them. Just purchased a 1500whp 5.0 stroker shortblock for another project in the works.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Whose tune where you running?

There are plenty of people running the roush tvs at around 575-650rwhp safely. Also think tune related or bad tank of fuel.

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

QTR

STAGE 3
Established Member
It was number 6. The issue is complicated. I was tuned by several shops which I rather not name. I had issues with my JLT big air and tried several tuners but we could never figure it out. So I took the JLT off and then reverted to an older tune.

I think I'll just get the Boss assembly, drop it in and then sell the car. It's been nothing but trouble since I bought it, but I realize it's just my luck.

Users who are viewing this thread