Engine Detailing Question

No.474

Established Member
Ive been looking for a good how to on cleaning my engine bay. I saw the thread started on here with the guy who did his Mach but wondered if someone could go into more detail. Like where to spray or places to stay away from when spraying. Also if you have aluminum or polished pieces under you hood, should you still spray them or if you do will they have water stains left in them. Then is there a certain way to clean the stuff off, like with a regular towel or microfiber or doesnt it matter? Ive always wanted to be able to detail my engine but never know how or where to start so sorry if i sound dumb, im a super newb at detailing the engine bay.

Goathead

Established Member
when I cleaned my engine bay I just covered the air filter and sprayed everywhere, about the aluminum stuff make sure to get ALL the cleaner off...First I sprayed the motor down with water to knock loose any dirt or grime, then spayed everything with simply green and let it sit for 3-5 mins then hose off with pleasure. Then spray everything down with AA tire foam and let it sit for about 20 mins then I wiped everything down with a microfiber cloth. Here is how mine turned out

Last edited:

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I would love to do that but I'm completely afraid that I would F something up :(

gsxrbb

Banned
I've heard you have to be really careful not to get water near the coil packs, etc. Knowing my luck, thats exactly what would happen :(

wvmystichrome

Established Member
On my 90 GT I use Simple Green. On the 04 Cobra I use STP Son of a Gun on plenty of rags. Any painted surfaces I use Mequir's Detail spray.

DSC04267.jpg

DSC04266.jpg

01vert

Established Member
Simple green is horrible for bare aluminum. It can etch it and leave a white residue behind. If you do use it, use it dilluted and wash it only when cold and rinse well. Never use on a hot motor.

Low pressue water is not a biggie on a modern engine compartment. Dont hose any electrical connectors with high pressure directly. Dont use any kind of dressing on or near the belt. Think about it this way, water at 90 mph in a downpour doesnt hurt the motor on the highway so a hose shouldnt either.

You can also use any kind of foaming tire shine to dress the engine compartment. Plenty of people on detailing sites do it. I tried it on my taurus with Armor all foaming tire stuff and it worked well but does not clean off oil or anything just gives a nice appearance to the plastics and rubber without leaving a sticky mess. Spray on, rinse off after a few minutes and then start the car for 5 minutes to dry off the water. Look on autopia or autogeek for pointers on engine compartment detailing.

fordmanforever

Venomous
Established Member
:cuss: Yeah how do you get rid of that white residue once you get it????:cuss:

01vert said:
Simple green is horrible for bare aluminum. It can etch it and leave a white residue behind. If you do use it, use it dilluted and wash it only when cold and rinse well. Never use on a hot motor.

Low pressue water is not a biggie on a modern engine compartment. Dont hose any electrical connectors with high pressure directly. Dont use any kind of dressing on or near the belt. Think about it this way, water at 90 mph in a downpour doesnt hurt the motor on the highway so a hose shouldnt either.

You can also use any kind of foaming tire shine to dress the engine compartment. Plenty of people on detailing sites do it. I tried it on my taurus with Armor all foaming tire stuff and it worked well but does not clean off oil or anything just gives a nice appearance to the plastics and rubber without leaving a sticky mess. Spray on, rinse off after a few minutes and then start the car for 5 minutes to dry off the water. Look on autopia or autogeek for pointers on engine compartment detailing.

JMBLOWNWS6

Established Member
I use simple green BUT I mix it 60 water to 40 sg. Works like a champ and no white residue.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Simple green here too. I use a 70/30 mix (water/SG).

-Jeff

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I use Simple green cut about 4:1

I've never had it harm raw aluminum or anything else for that matter.

The Automotive formula SG is a good bit stronger, but doesn't finish as nicely on plastics.

Fikse actually recommends it for cleaning their aluminum wheels...(cut 1:1)
http://www.fikse.com/wheelcare.html

Users who are viewing this thread