Engine coolant tank cap problems.

bullitt1672

Established Member
A few years ago my car started spewing coolant from the factory tank at the cap. I read where the tanks can become warped over time and leak. So I bought an aluminum Canton tank, and new OEM Ford cap. Everything has been fine, no coolant leaks, car stayed cool all the time...up until few days ago when the same thing happened, coolant spewing from the cap. Is this a common occurrence with those plastic caps? Or another underlying issue? The car takes quite awhile to reach operating temp according the factory gauge, so maybe the thermostat is partially stuck open or closed? But the car has never gotten hot before, other than when it starts losing coolant. The second time it happened (few days ago) I was cruising down the highway at about 60.

EB85

Established Member
My car takes forever to get warm, too. I think it's just because iron takes a lot longer to heat up than aluminum does.

Let me ask this: did you actually SEE coolant come from the cap or is the area around/near the cap wet?

bullitt1672

Established Member
Just the area around the cap was wet. Noticed the alternator was slipping as well so I assumed it came from the cap, and down to get the belt wet.

EB85

Established Member
Just the area around the cap was wet. Noticed the alternator was slipping as well so I assumed it came from the cap, and down to get the belt wet.

For what it's worth, the rad is leaking in my car and when it initially sprung, I had coolant in that general area. I would borrow a pressure tester and see if you can narrow it down to the exact spot.

bullitt1672

Established Member
Thanks for the input! I will for sure be pressuring the system, along with an engine compression test.

Users who are viewing this thread