Engine concern after improper oil change.

Rios302

Established Member
I have been having a long busy week so instead of doing the oil change myself, I decided to take my car to Walmart for an oil change and get groceries for the week. After an hour I come back and pay them for the oil change.

As I drove away, the car felt fine. I went back to my house and parked the car for the rest of the day. The next day I wake up and start getting ready for work, I turn on the car and headed out. As soon as I went into second gear, the car gave me a weird vibe, it felt as if the car was not running as smoothly. I didn't gave it much thought and I figure the car was still cold and sometimes the 3.73s are a bit finicky besides I didn't wait for the engine to warm up and it was a cold morning. I then get to work which is like 5 miles away and parked the car.

Once I am off work I headed back home and I immediately noticed my car feeling harsh, the kind of feeling you get when you drop a gear to higher revs without releasing the clutch smoothly or feathering the throttle. I am like maybe the car's tune was remove at the shop, but I doubt Walmart even messes with the computer. I then grab my oil change receipt and there it is, the stupid people at Walmart only added 7 quartz instead of the recommended 8 quartz. i was so pissed. I took the nearest exit, stop by Autozone and bought and a quart of mobil 1. As soon as I turn the car back on, it immediately felt 10x better.

I am not sure what to make out of this and although the car was not driven hard, and it feels fine I am afraid there could of been some wear or damage to the engine. I am contemplating going back to Walmart and letting them know of what happen. For the time being, I am going just going to save that receipt in case something happens, however I am really pissed not just at the people at Walmart but myself for not double checking a crappy such as the Walmart Auto Department.

Healthforhazard

Established Member
1 quart low shouldn't affect anything. The low mark on the dip stick is a quart usually. My coyote burns oils and gets to 7 quarts frequently. I wouldn't worry unless you had 5 to 6 and did some hot laps in the desert for a long time . I'm surprised you noticed a difference in performance

Rios302

Established Member
1 quart low shouldn't affect anything. The low mark on the dip stick is a quart usually. My coyote burns oils and gets to 7 quarts frequently. I wouldn't worry unless you had 5 to 6 and did some hot laps in the desert for a long time . I'm surprised you noticed a difference in performance
Thanks man, car is running fine so I am just not going to worry about it then.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
As stated one quart less no problems. What your feeling is either in your head or another problem. My ford dealer short changed me 2 quarts on my car last year. Car drove fine with 6 quarts BTW.

greenscobie86

Established Member
Quartz is no good for your engine man, that stuff is really abrasive lol.

Anyway, just like others have said, 1 qt low wont hurt it.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
If you never take your car to walmart again then we will consider that you have learned your lesson. That being never let somone else do for you what you can do for yourself! Lack of time is no excuse!

Users who are viewing this thread