Engine cleaning

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
What products are you guys using to clean your engine? My car sat outside in the rain/snow for a LONG time before getting delivered to me and the aluminum parts are covered in chalky white residue (oxidation?). I can brush this off with my hands and was just considering wiping it down with a damp cloth but was wondering if there was a better product that could clean and then protect it a bit better from here forward.

JDJ

Established Member
Search on youtube for Adam's car polish. They have some free videos outlining their products for car care. Their video on engine cleaning was pretty good.

bluediamond

13 Shelby aka El Diablo
Established Member
If your a do it yourselfer...50/50 wash soap and water..spray on...rinse
off with with a light stream/mist of water. blow dry with a clean yard blower.
when dry, touch up spots with any quick detailer and a clean lint free towel.
POC!
BTW...owned a detail shop for 10 years....after you wash your car..use
clean yard blower to dry wheels 100% and the rest of the car 50% dry
with the blower...then finish with the chamois....you'll never go back to chamois only ever again.
crazy but true.

Last edited:

Planeswalker

Established Member
If I'm cleaning a really dirty one I use Simple Green and rinse. Most of the time I just use a microfiber rag and Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer.

JakeSpoon3

Established Member
Adam's Polishes Videos

What products are you guys using to clean your engine? My car sat outside in the rain/snow for a LONG time before getting delivered to me and the aluminum parts are covered in chalky white residue (oxidation?). I can brush this off with my hands and was just considering wiping it down with a damp cloth but was wondering if there was a better product that could clean and then protect it a bit better from here forward.

I know I've stated this numerous times, and I swear I'm not receiving any type of monetary consideration from them...but Adam's Polishes are terrific. You can go to their website and watch detailed videos which provide step by step instruction in relation to every cleaning aspect you will encounter or need to address. The thorough nature of the videos and professional tips really help a novice detail just like a professional. I've been using their products since 2010, and have never been disappointed with anything purchased from them.

acroholic

Established Member
If your a do it yourselfer...50/50 wash soap and water..spray on...rinse
off with with a light stream/mist of water. blow dry with a clean yard blower.
when dry, touch up spots with any quick detailer and a clean lint free towel.
POC!
BTW...owned a detail shop for 10 years....after you wash your car..use
clean yard blower to dry wheels 100% and the rest of the car 50% dry
with the blower
...then finish with the chamois....you'll never go back to chamois only ever again.
crazy but true.

Assuming you mean to tell them to use an electric blower and not a gas one. A gas one will blow exhaust onto the car.

railroad

Established Member
Look into some Honda Spray and Shine, motorcycle cleaner and detailer. It is OK on all finishes, protects chrome, alum, rubber, plastic, etc. Just think of all the materials on a cycle it has to be compatable with. My engine was the same, dusty and oxidized. I sprayed and wiped everywhere I could get a rag. Everything still looks good.
As for the gasoline leaf blowers, they do not use the exhaust to move the air. The engine turns an impeller which pulls in air and expells it. The exhaust will be in the area, but I think most can keep it directed off the car.

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
I'll put water under that hood, but nowhere near that coil on plug cover. I learned my lesson on the '04...had to take each one off, blow compressed air down each hole, clean and dry each coil on plug and re-install. NO SIR I wont put a drop of water on those covers!!!

ObieFox

Established Member
I would just wipe the white chalky oxidation off with a damp cloth. It was most likely just caused by condensation with temp changes in the weather/humidity.

I stored my 08 in my pole barn one winter and it would sweat like crazy when the weather would warm up and rain. In the spring, the engine looked exactly like you describe.

carguy19

Established Member
Simple green and tire shine

Tire shine is a magnet for dust and dirt and it will look 20 times worse in a week then it did when you started. Then on top of that its a bitch to get off once you apply it and it makes the dirt/tire shine paste near impossible to remove.

I use damp cloth and add some prep solvent (bug and tar remover will work too) to remove stubborn dirt and grime and get off oxidation.

Users who are viewing this thread