Engine Clatter...

SVTStampede

Established Member
Took your recommendation and checked my oil today... Nothing on stick...

Straight to the dealership...

THREE AND THREE QUARTER QUARTS LOW!!!! at 4,000 miles!!!!!

Dealership topped it off and told me to bring it back in 1,000 miles for them to see it....

And one of the service guys did throw out the "Well, Ford says that 1qt/1,000miles is acceptable"....

How did you drive the car when you bought it? Easy or daily WOT runs?

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
If it makes you feel any better mine was the same way. Went through over 3 quarts before the first oil change at 5K. I'm now at 7K and the level hasn't moved at all.

These cars sure as hell can go through oil at first. Keep an eye on the level.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
With all my ticking problems, I must say that I have never lost a drop of oil. Hit or miss on what these motors do, I guess.

I was told by a Ford Tech that Ford's position is 1 quart per 1000 miles is acceptable. He was talking about something other than a Mustang, but it does back what Mebcop said.

2K11 5point0

Established Member
Lol at the folks that called bullshit I don't make this stuff up I know first hand I have seen several of these engines eat 1 quart in 1000 miles, that's why I suggested the check!

JerryC

Established Member
A post I read some time ago had a speculation that engine braking was what caused the high oil consumption.

It does seem that the auto trans cars use much less oil. My car used 1 qt in the first 5000 miles, 1/2 qt in the next 5000 miles. Could be a coincidence but in the first 5000 I was experimenting with the "tow assist" feature which does add engine braking.

FastRedPonyCar