Engine Clatter...

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Hey guys, Im afraid to ask, but here goes.

My 2012 GT is/has been making a clatter noise when it's cold. The clatter noise is noticeable between 2500-3000rpms under light acceleration. U can also hear it quietly during a free rev when it's cold. As it warms up the clatter goes away and when it's up to temp it seems like its almost or maybe fully gone. It def sounds like it's the bottom of the motor area. With the hood popped, you cant hear it from above, but when you lay on the ground you can hear it underneath. I tried pushing the clutch in and letting it out, and it doesn't seem to change the noise.

Any suggestions???

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Sorry guys, I did it.... I posted a thread before googling it... Apparently a LOT of people have the same issue, and ford is aware of it, and nobody knows what it is....

5.0jake

Established Member
I have this noise and am keeping it out of this rpm range when cold until they find out what it is.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Just Google 2011 mustang cold engine noise.... there's a bunch of threads on it.

Desert50Rat

Established Member
Hey guys, Im afraid to ask, but here goes.

My 2012 GT is/has been making a clatter noise when it's cold. The clatter noise is noticeable between 2500-3000rpms under light acceleration. U can also hear it quietly during a free rev when it's cold. As it warms up the clatter goes away and when it's up to temp it seems like its almost or maybe fully gone. It def sounds like it's the bottom of the motor area. With the hood popped, you cant hear it from above, but when you lay on the ground you can hear it underneath. I tried pushing the clutch in and letting it out, and it doesn't seem to change the noise.

Any suggestions???

Mine does this intermittently,
Does it sound like this?
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFN9gbDvBZU"]YouTube - ‪Coyote Knocking? 5.0.AVI‬‏[/nomedia]

JL-KA

Established Member

Sir Nate 3000

Silver Stallion
Established Member
that video, I mostly hear injectors I also hear a faint tick/clatter. My Mach1 sound the same and was told from the dealer it was normal. I don't think it could be piston noise because they used "hyper" pistons with tighter clearances. I also read somewhere that the a/c dont have a tensioner pulley which could cause the sound you hear :shrug:

Last edited:

Sir Nate 3000

Silver Stallion
Established Member
It def sounds like it's the bottom of the motor area. With the hood popped, you cant hear it from above, but when you lay on the ground you can hear it underneath.

I know its a different engine, but my Mach1 sounded exactly what you are describing (knocking/clatter from top and underneath) and was told numerous times from the dealer that the noise is normal. they kept my car for a week and a half (gave me a loaner) they replaced the heads for the 03-04 SVT Cobra tsb, they checked the clutch, changed the oil and filter and put some miles on with the new oil and had the oil inspected to check for bearing damage and other issues. All came back good. So I drove the piss out of it and had zero problems. I later traded for my Lightning :rockon:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I can tell you exactly what the noise is. It's the timing chains running across the cam phasers. Start the car and with the engine running remove the oil filler cap. YOu can see the timing chains working and you'll notice the sound right off the bat. You'll also notice that the guides are bare.

The old 4.6 cars had nylon guides where the 5.0 doesn't. I can't exactly tell you why you can really only hear it during cold operation, but tolerance differences between cold and operating temperature probably have something to do with it.

I actually discovered this while trying to diagnose a different noise my engine makes.

12KonaD00D

I can tell you exactly what the noise is. It's the timing chains running across the cam phasers. Start the car and with the engine running remove the oil filler cap. YOu can see the timing chains working and you'll notice the sound right off the bat. You'll also notice that the guides are bare.

The old 4.6 cars had nylon guides where the 5.0 doesn't. I can't exactly tell you why you can really only hear it during cold operation, but tolerance differences between cold and operating temperature probably have something to do with it.

I actually discovered this while trying to diagnose a different noise my engine makes.

Give this man a cookie!!!!!

JL-KA

Established Member
OP very clearly said his is only heard from under the car. Can't be heard from above with hood popped. I don't see how that could be what he's experiencing.

Desert50Rat

Established Member
OP very clearly said his is only heard from under the car. Can't be heard from above with hood popped. I don't see how that could be what he's experiencing.

Hopefully not:beer:

But that is exactly how mine started.
Just trying to help :dw:

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I know it sounds stupid but check your oil these new engines eat oil like crazy! Dealer told me to check every 1k miles b/c of how fast they get low.

Took your recommendation and checked my oil today... Nothing on stick...

Straight to the dealership...

THREE AND THREE QUARTER QUARTS LOW!!!! at 4,000 miles!!!!!

Dealership topped it off and told me to bring it back in 1,000 miles for them to see it....

And one of the service guys did throw out the "Well, Ford says that 1qt/1,000miles is acceptable"....

Desert50Rat

Established Member
Took your recommendation and checked my oil today... Nothing on stick...

Straight to the dealership...

THREE AND THREE QUARTER QUARTS LOW!!!! at 4,000 miles!!!!!

Dealership topped it off and told me to bring it back in 1,000 miles for them to see it....

And one of the service guys did throw out the "Well, Ford says that 1qt/1,000miles is acceptable"....

Un ****ing believable, :lol::bash:

Users who are viewing this thread