Engine build questions

03.BLK.SVT

Established Member
After pulling my motor, I have found one cylinder was cracked. I am curious if I buy another stock block, can I use my rotating assembly? I have thought about buying upgraded rings & pistons, but do not know what my best options are? All help would be great.

LS1toSVT

Established Member
I don't understand why you couldn't? Def shell out for better pistons if you can afford it. You're going to hear good/bad about any aftermarket part. Manley, diamond, Je, ect good brands.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
first you need to check the integrity of the parts you have. a cracked cylinder more than likely will effect other parts. check your journals for wear, and I would highly recommend aftermarket pistons since your stock pistons will not be perfectly round anymore and therefore would not fit another block ptw wise. you can mic the pistons to confirm but I all but guarantee out of round pistons

sabotage

corn fed!!!!!!
Established Member
Well I was in the same boat as you not so long ago....all I salvaged from my stock block were crank amd rods. I go a teksid aluminum block sent it for line boring with arp main studs bored it 20 over torque plated etc got a set manley -11 cc pistons upgraded the rod bolts to arp 2000 used clevite h series bearing sent the rotating assembly to get rebalanced. And assembled it myself.....

03.BLK.SVT

Established Member
Well I was in the same boat as you not so long ago....all I salvaged from my stock block were crank amd rods. I go a teksid aluminum block sent it for line boring with arp main studs bored it 20 over torque plated etc got a set manley -11 cc pistons upgraded the rod bolts to arp 2000 used clevite h series bearing sent the rotating assembly to get rebalanced. And assembled it myself.....

How much did your setup cost?

03.BLK.SVT

Established Member
I have also thought about buying a built shortblock from MMR or similar. I'm sure I could sell my rods & crank to offset some cost.

sabotage

corn fed!!!!!!
Established Member
Well it was a lot less than mmr bottom......

Teksid block 300 $
Manley pistons 700$
Stainless ring 200
Main bearings $100
Rod bearings clevite h series 100 $
Arp main studs 220 $
Arp 2000 rod bolt 120 $
Labor to machine the block line bore main with stud punch 20 over torque plated and balance everything 700 $
Oil pump triangle speed shop 430 $

Just rough estimates of the the top of my head but really close to that ....I assembled everything machine shop checked clearances ...and told me where all bearing went ..made 827 rwhp motor sounds smooth as silk...

Users who are viewing this thread