engine build help

Chris.94GT

Established Member
I might be picking up a engine to throw in the corner of the garage and build as funds allow. If I do the one I am looking at is out of a 99 Cobra. I plan on checking it out this weekend. Really all I know is it has ~100k miles, and the person said they are keeping the intake, valve covers, and timing cover but everything else goes with it. I will probably reuse the block and crank, but would be interested in forged rods and pistons for future boost usage. I think I would like to use the C-heads from it as well. Undecided if I would want to do a twin screw setup (ala 03/04) or centrifugal type setup so not sure on intake right now. I guess basically the question is, if you had a an engine in the corner to build, what would you put in it?

Chris.94GT

Established Member
Ok well I picked up the engine today. When I talked to the guy on the phone he told me the engine had ~100k on it, and it was seized up but didn't know how bad it was. Anyway the engine is complete, all he took off of it was the intake manifold, left the valve covers and timing cover on it. Loaded the engine up into the truck and got it back to the house. When I got home just for grins I grabbed a wrench out of the tool box and tried it on the crank. Dunno how this guy figured out it was seized, cuz it turned over just fine for me! He said it turned off in traffic one day and when they went to restart it, it just clicked, even after installing a new battery so I guess they just assumed it was seized or something? Anyway it is a teksid block with the C-heads and the plan I think is to rebuild it with forged rods and pistons and put a 03 supercharger setup on it.

And just to make you guys mad at me. I only gave $450 for everything!!

02212010160-1.jpg

Last edited:

thirtytwovalve

Steam Rollin 335's
Established Member
Nice score! Sounds like maybe his starter motor was done and he gave up on it. I've had a couple of friends buy/build mustangs withe"seized motors" where the starter motor was just shot. Congrats man

Chris.94GT

Established Member
When I showed up to pick the engine up from him, he was working on buttoning up putting a mach 1 motor in his 99. It is going to suck if he ends up having the same problem with that one!

ETA - Does anyone know what thread the bellhousing bolts are? I need to know so I can get this thing mounted up on the stand

Last edited:

Chris.94GT

Established Member
got it on the engine stand tonite and the oil pan off. Found one of the chain guide/tensioners sitting in the bottom or it.

Users who are viewing this thread